TOPIC:

Gt Grandfather,Paddington Rifles, ESR 9 years 10 months ago #21150

• Lancejack146
  • Lancejack146's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I recently found information that was posted to me in 2011 but I was never informed of, regarding my Gt. grandfather Cpl 834 Ernest A Woods who served in the Paddington Rifles between 1897-1901 before he resigned to enlist in the East Surrey Regiment.(buried in Lissenthoek Military Cemetery under correct name of WOODS)

This is the information I received. from mm1916 (does anyone know this person )

22 men from the 18th Middlesex RVC served with the City Imperial Volunteers February-Oct 1900. The City Press 9 viewable at the Guildhall Library on microfilm shows a not very clear portrait of Cpl Woods.

After finding this information I also found out that 3 other family members (brothers) served in the Paddington Rifles at the same time as my Gt grandfather. Does anyone know of any photographs of the Paddington Rifles. I have been in contact with the Guildhall Library, but unfortunately there is not enough information above to pin point were this portrait could be as dates of newspapers are required.

The medal roll for the CIV for South Africa shows Private 384 E A Wood with entitlement to QSA clasps Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Cape Colony, and Orange Free State. Number is different but the numbers being the same is too much of a coincidence as is name spelling. I'm 99% Positive this is my Gt grandfather, due to other entries in WW1 reference books of the East Surrey Regiment that have is name spelt incorrectly as Wood.

I know this is a long shot and an act of desperation but could anyone help on this matter please

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gt Grandfather,Paddington Rifles, ESR 9 years 9 months ago #21323

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4557
Mike,

Re mm1916, which site was this from?
Dr David Biggins

Gt Grandfather,Paddington Rifles, ESR 9 years 9 months ago #21351

• Lancejack146
  • Lancejack146's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi djb

Thanks for your interest in my post, I didn't mention the website as I didn't think I was allowed to on here. It was passed through to me from Ancestry.I have tried to contact he or she but they have not logged on there for over a year.
Basically I've just taken the chance out of desperation and posted the message on a number of website like this In the hope that someone might know them or they might be a member, or if anyone else has taken a interest in the Paddington Rifles at the time of formation.

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds