• Page:

TOPIC:

Researching Riddick family tree 9 years 10 months ago #20952

• Pandyvee
  • Pandyvee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi I am new to this forum. Have been trying to Locate information on my grandfather on my father's side. The only information I have on him is that my father stated on my birth certificate that he (my grandfather) died in "the war". I believe after some research it was the second Anglo Boer War. My father's name was Albert E. Riddick born in 1900 in Georgetown British Guiana - he never knew his father and never told us his father's forename name. There are three soldiers with the surname Riddick showing on the QSA,KSA and W0127 medal rolls, but no further information, just their first initial and regiment.
How can I further research these names to determine if any of them were my grandfather. Is there a link for further information such as spousal or children's names. Have been trying forever to find out more information for family tree and can not get beyond my father.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Researching Riddick family tree 9 years 10 months ago #20955

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think you will find that there are more than three men with that name and WO127 is actually a nominal roll for members of the SAMIF and not a medal roll, the best thing to do is look at a given mans regt/corps and then search the appropriate surviving records for that particular unit, for example, a member of the NZMR, you should start at Archives New Zealand in Wellington and so forth.

Pandyvee wrote: Hi I am new to this forum. Have been trying to Locate information on my grandfather on my father's side. The only information I have on him is that my father stated on my birth certificate that he (my grandfather) died in "the war". I believe after some research it was the second Anglo Boer War. My father's name was Albert E. Riddick born in 1900 in Georgetown British Guiana - he never knew his father and never told us his father's forename name. There are three soldiers with the surname Riddick showing on the QSA,KSA and W0127 medal rolls, but no further information, just their first initial and regiment.
How can I further research these names to determine if any of them were my grandfather. Is there a link for further information such as spousal or children's names. Have been trying forever to find out more information for family tree and can not get beyond my father.

Researching Riddick family tree 9 years 10 months ago #20956

• Pandyvee
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much Frank. I am computer challenged that's for sure. So will try to search using your suggestions and hopefully will finally get some long sought after information on my grandfather.

Researching Riddick family tree 9 years 10 months ago #20957

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Hello Pandyvee

As you are looking for a fatal casualty - no one by the surname "Riddick" died in the war. Of course the casualty roll could have misspelt the surname, this is not uncommon.

It is interesting that your father was born in British Guiana suggesting that your grandfather was stationed there with the British Army. Apart from the West India Regiment I cannot think what other unit (if any) would have been stationed there. The West India Regt had a number of senior NCOs attached from regular units of the British Army - could your grandfather have been one of these?

Have you checked the Overseas Death Registers? These are on findmypast, not sure if they are on Ancestry.

Good luck.

Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pandyvee

Researching Riddick family tree 9 years 10 months ago #20958

• Pandyvee
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Wow what a help this information is, now I have some new searching sites to browse along with not having to search the casualty records. thanks so much.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds