TOPIC:

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars 9 years 11 months ago #20696

• Charlie2em
  • Charlie2em's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

This is my first post here and I'd just like to outline my main interests. I am particularly interested in finding information on the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars.

My Grandfather,who joined up under the name of Peter Byrne about 1900 and served in South Africa , his medal card states he was in Cape Colony, Orange State,Transvaal, and was still in Aldershot in 1906,as he changed his name back to Joseph Lyons as he was getting Married that year. Why would he have joined under another name? He was born in 1880 so that seems OK . I have a photo of him in Dress Uniform with flags etc Circa 1900. I would like to know where to start to get his records,but am told if he served after 1922 they can't be viewed ??? He was called up to the Curragh August 1914 with the 4th Hussars and stayed with them untill abt 1923/4,including a stint in India, Muttra, I would love to get info on his record 1900/1906. any help would be appreciated. Hope this is OK am very new to this Forum operation;;; Talk soon Charlie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars 9 years 11 months ago #20700

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Charlie,
Surviving papers are very limited here because the original army records office was bombed in WW2, normally you would just look at WO97, WO363 and WO364 at Kew, but in the case of men who were still serving well into the 1920's you would need to speak to the MOD, they had their army records office down in Hayes Middlesex, it was on Bourne Avenue, I think.
However, these days, you should just be able to do it all on line via their web site, if you are unsure, just telephone their personnel centre.
Regards Frank Kelley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie2em

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars 9 years 11 months ago #20715

• Charlie2em
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many Thanks Frank, I will try the web site , hopefully I will be successful
Regards Charlie

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars 9 years 11 months ago #20719

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, the MOD should have something at least, but, it may be that his original papers have not survived, anyway, I am sure that they would assist you subject to you providing them with proof that you are a relative in the same family.

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars 9 years 11 months ago #20721

• Tullybrone
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

MOD website has all the necessary forms etc.

Army Personnel Centre that deals with service record applications is in Glasgow. It costs £30. You won't need to provide a copy death cert as he was born over 116 years ago.

Good Luck.

Steve Y
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie2em

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars 9 years 10 months ago #21166

• Charlie2em
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi All , Re APC in Glasgow sent all the Forms inc £30 but got all back ,stating that the MOD hold records of any who left after 1921, so its back to the National Archives again. One other thing you might help me with ,The Muster Rolls for The 8th between 1899 and 1906 including the Boer War , any ideas, Will be looking under his first name as Peter Byrne.. Thanks for all the help ...Charlie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds