Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

location identification please - any help much appreciated 10 years 3 days ago #19941

• Harper
  • Harper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

I have the attached photo which is of my gr,gr,grandfather (2nd from the right) J W Bibbs. On the back it had 3rd Glamorgan volunteers written. I know he was listed on the 1881 census at his home in Wales and he married his wife in 1891 but he does not appear on the 1891 census. he is back in Wales on the 1901 census. Where would his regiment have been serving between 1891 and 1901.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

location identification please - any help much appreciated 10 years 3 days ago #19943

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello and welcome,
I assume this is the 3rd Glamorgan Rifle Volunteers that we are talking about here, if so, the answer to your question would be Swansea, South Wales, Great Britain.
I expect, not what you wanted to hear, but, I think from memory, some members of the 3rd did go out to South Africa with the Army and saw active service in the Welsh Regiment, I also think that the photograph was taken after the war and not in South Africa.
Kind regards Frank Kelley

location identification please - any help much appreciated 10 years 3 days ago #19944

• Harper
  • Harper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
It does just say 3rd Glamorgan volunteers on the back but I understand what you say. I was not really making the assumption that he was in South Africa and in fact I have some evidence that he was not there in 1900 because I have the transcript of a letter to him from a friend who was there at the time. I was just trying to get an idea of where he might have been during that period. he Originates from Pontardawe just outside Swansea anyway. The picture has tents in the background so they are obviously in camp somewhere,

location identification please - any help much appreciated 10 years 3 days ago #19945

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello,
It was just because of what they are wearing in the photograph that says Wales to me.
I'd have a chat with the regiments museum if I were you, I'm not even sure where they are at in these hard times or indeed what they now call themselves, it was the Royal Regiment of Wales at Cardiff Castle I think, certainly not all that long ago? :blush:
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds