Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Information regarding Boer war in Smithfield, Free State 11 years 2 weeks ago #10697

• karin
  • karin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello again, is anyone able to give me any information about Smithfield, there is not a lot of information about it apart from the fact that it was a British stronghold during the war. I am interested to find out if there were any skirmishes in Smithfield as unfortunately the locals don't have much information to give me. My ultimate experience with the Boer War is to find something myself and today I did find something but I think it was just beginner's luck! Is there anyone who could give me any tips on how to identify possible site's of where to look as I don't know where to start, what equipment do I need to do a "dig"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Information regarding Boer war in Smithfield, Free State 11 years 2 weeks ago #10705

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560
Karin,

If you search the site, you wil see 59 references for Smithfield. Many of these relate to the Boer Commando from the area but other explain that a column of soldiers under Hart was briefly in the area and also that here was a temporary 25 bed hospital stationed there in 1900.

As to your other questions, I'm afraid I cannot help.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Information regarding Boer war in Smithfield, Free State 11 years 2 weeks ago #10706

• karin
  • karin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your help David

Information regarding Boer war in Smithfield, Free State 11 years 1 week ago #10714

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Karin

Have you visited the Anglo-Boer War Museum in Bloemfontein and discussed your interests with the staff there? I suspect that this museum still functions as museums should, so the staff could be very helpful.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: karin

Information regarding Boer war in Smithfield, Free State 11 years 1 week ago #10727

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560
Karin,

There was quite a lot of activity around Smithfield. As an example, here is a paragraph from The Times, 9 May 1900:

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Information regarding Boer war in Smithfield, Free State 11 years 1 week ago #10732

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Hello

Smithfield seems to have been a relatively sleepy place with just eight British Empire casualties: 5 disease, 1 killed (I suspect near Smithfield rather than in Smithfield), one wounded and one accidentally wounded.

Occupation by the British was sporadic, the entry from A Gazetteer of the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902, HM & MGM Jones, Military Press, Milton Keynes 1999

"[3026: 3013-2632] a town in the Orange Free State (Smithfield district; Free State), 40 km north-west of Rouxville. The town and district furnished burghers for a commando for the Orange Free State (Cmdt J. Swanepoel; Cmdt J.F. Potgieter). The town was periodically garrisoned by British forces which were withdrawn on 5 April 1900 to Aliwal North*. By 4 October the garrison comprised a detachment from Springfontein Junction*. In January-February 1901, there were no British troops in the southern Orange Free State except along the railway line. HMG II pp.312-313 (map no.35), III p.478 (map no.38); Times IV p.55 (map of the Orange Free State in the front pocket), V pp.38 and 134, (map facing p.42)."

To answer your question on where to start I think you will have to consult the contemporary histories and build up the picture from there.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.823 seconds