• Page:

TOPIC:

Blockhouse on the Modder River 11 years 2 months ago #7413

• C Rose
  • C Rose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
There is a fine example of a blockhouse on the south bank of the Modder River. It is also the site where Gen. Methuen’s advance on Kimberly was opposed by Gen’s De la Rey and Cronje (battle of Modder River 28 Nov 1899). The British line of advance was from the South the bridge which had been destroyed. The Boer forces where entrenched on the north bank of the river. The blockhouse would have been built to guard the bridge which was reconstructed during the war. The Modder River can be seen in the background of the blockhouse pictures.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Ians1900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Blockhouse on the Modder River 11 years 2 months ago #7414

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Thank you posting the blockhouse photographs. It was certainly stoutly built and hopefully it will continue to survive intact.

I was told that a blockhouse in pristine condition had survived on the farm Blaauwkrantz, between Colenso and Weenen in KZN, the site of the 1838 massacre of Voortrekkers by Zulus. This blockhouse was built close to the Blaauwkrantz farmhouse and was thus 'protected'. When the farmhouse was vacated, both it and the blockhouse were stripped of every moveable part by inhabitants of the neighbouring Cornfields settlement.

I wonder if anyone reading this has a photograph of the Blaauwkrantz blockhouse?

Brett

Re: Blockhouse on the Modder River 4 months 2 weeks ago #92757

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1902
The Modder River Blockhouse (No. 75) as it appeared during the ABW together with photographs taken on 2nd September 1981. At the time of my visit I was told by the farm owner, Casper van de Walt, that the building had not yet been designated as an historic monument, and was in danger of being lost. I'm glad to say this state of affairs has since been rectified.

One of the iron door leaves had the name "Major Learoyd, R.E." painted on its inside. This is Major Charles Douglas Learoyd, R.E., Staff for Engineer Services. A remark against Learoyd's name on the K.S.A. medal roll reads "Transferred to Kimberley".

"Major Learoyd, R.E. / Modder River"

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Re: Blockhouse on the Modder River 4 months 2 weeks ago #92758

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1902
PROFESSIONAL PAPERS OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS, VOL. XXX (1904)

THE BLOCKHOUSE SYSTEM IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR.
BY
BT.-COLONEL E.H. BETHELL, D.S.O., R.E.

PLATE XIV.

TYPE OF
TWO-STOREY MASONRY BLOCKHOUSE.

The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV, Ians1900, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.491 seconds