Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Edenkop Eastern Transvaal 11 years 4 months ago #6196

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Forum members
I am researching a 2nd Batt. Devons casualty, he was wounded and reported missing at Edenkop Transvaal 24/12/00
I am right in thinking this would have been a skirmish?
Can anyone supply any information of any action around this time that might relate to the above.

Many thanks
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Edenkop Eastern Transvaal 11 years 4 months ago #6198

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi Paul

Look in Maurice & Grant, Vol IV, p28 for a short resume of the skirmish.

Henk

Re: Edenkop Eastern Transvaal 11 years 4 months ago #6199

• coldstream
Hello Henk,
Found it!
Many many thanks

OSAKSA wrote: Hi Paul

Look in Maurice & Grant, Vol IV, p28 for a short resume of the skirmish.

Henk

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Edenkop Eastern Transvaal 11 years 4 months ago #6366

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
I didn't have this action listed in The Gazetteer.

Following Henk's tip off I checked M&G, their description is a little thin. The wonderful Surrenders WO108-372 has a far better description from which I have updated the The Gazetteer on-line in The Register:

"in the South African Republic (Heidelberg district;Gauteng) nr Heidelberg (1)*. Variant: Eden Kop, Eden's Kop. The site of a British army post. On 24th December, 1900 two companies (150 men) from the 2nd battalion Devonshire Regt went out foraging. The advance guard of 19 men were attacked by about 50 Boers, they retired to some kraals and fought on. One man, Pte 6357 F Taylor was killed and eight men wounded. The NCO in charge, Cpl 4649 H McEvansoneya raised the white flag but was shot and killed. Nine were posted as "Missing - Released". HMG IV p28, WO108-372."

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: Edenkop Eastern Transvaal 11 years 4 months ago #6383

• coldstream
Hi Meurig,
Many thanks for this extra information.
It is linked to a lastest purchase of a Devon wounded at Eden Kop.

SWB wrote: I didn't have this action listed in The Gazetteer.

Following Henk's tip off I checked M&G, their description is a little thin. The wonderful Surrenders WO108-372 has a far better description from which I have updated the The Gazetteer on-line in The Register:

"in the South African Republic (Heidelberg district;Gauteng) nr Heidelberg (1)*. Variant: Eden Kop, Eden's Kop. The site of a British army post. On 24th December, 1900 two companies (150 men) from the 2nd battalion Devonshire Regt went out foraging. The advance guard of 19 men were attacked by about 50 Boers, they retired to some kraals and fought on. One man, Pte 6357 F Taylor was killed and eight men wounded. The NCO in charge, Cpl 4649 H McEvansoneya raised the white flag but was shot and killed. Nine were posted as "Missing - Released". HMG IV p28, WO108-372."

Regards
Meurig

Re: Edenkop Eastern Transvaal 11 years 4 months ago #6397

• coldstream
Meurig,
Link to my original thread with reference to Eden Kop.
angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-awar...judge-devon-regiment

SWB wrote: I didn't have this action listed in The Gazetteer.

Regards
Meurig

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.570 seconds