• Page:

TOPIC:

Griquatown 2 years 10 months ago #76902

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541

Griquatown (modern day Griekwastad) is a small town in what was Griqualand, South Africa. It is 105 miles (168km) west of Kimberley buyroad.

Magistrates' court, police station and council buildings for the district of Hay, Griqualand West

Enrolling farmers as Special Police at Griquatown, upon which the Boers have recently made an armed raid

Source: ILN 30 December 1899
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Griquatown 2 years 10 months ago #76903

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
An extract from the Resident Magistrate's report on the occupation of the Prieska district by hostile forces, 23 May 1900:

(asterisks represent redacted information)

The area under the control of the Resident Magistrate, Hay, was in a very disturbed and unsettled state about the commencement of November, 1899, and European and Native refugees crossed the river into this division with their stock and belongings, evidently for the protection of their persons and fear of their stock would be looted by the poor whites who were at the time reported to be roaming about Griqualand West on looting and thieving expeditions. No danger was, however, apprehended until a few of the more intelligent and influential farmers in that division, viz., * * , * , and a few others persuaded the loafers and poor whites to join them in stirring up a rebellion and defying the Queen's authority, with the result that within a very short time the Free Staters were invited to come to Griquatown and annex that division to the Free State. Mounted and armed patrols were shortly afterwards seen on the north side of the Orange River for the purpose of preventing all loyal subjects to cross the river into the Prieska division, and also to watch any movements of British troops entering Prieska, and I also understand these irresponsible people had also authority to compulsory commandeer farmers and others on the other side of the river to join in the rebellion and take up arms against the Queen's Government.

An extract from a report on the occupation of the districts of Kenhardt by the Boer Forces

Large numbers of rebel farmers were in Court, and I also noticed the presence there of * * * , he, however, took no part in the proceedings. About the 12th inst., I was sent by cart, together with the Chief Constable and * to Prieska which was in the hands of the Republicans; en route we over-took 150 mounted Kenhardt rebels going to Prieska to join the Boer forces, and I was informed that a similar number of rebels had gone to Gordonia with Jooste as Commandant. At Prieska, owing to a scare of a British advance, we were hurried across the Orange River into the Hay Division, where we were joined by more prisoners, viz., * , a young shopkeeper in * , attached as a scout to Colonel Alderson's column, * , a trooper in the Cape Police stationed at * , and four privates of the City of London Volunteers. We were taken by wagon to the laager of General Liebenberg, who had a force of some 400 men, and we then proceeded to Griquatown. At Griquatown we were joined by more prisoners, one of whom, * * was suffering from a severe beating inflicted by General Liebenberg personally, with a twisted raw hide ox reim. This man's face was badly cut open, and took about a month to heal. The other Griquatown prisoners had been tied fast with ropes and made to witness this flogging. I trust that this matter will be further inquired into locally. From Griquatown we were taken by wagon to Klerksdorp, via Border Siding, and thence to Pretoria by train.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.353 seconds