• QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
Here's your picture.......

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where is ?????? 6 years 5 months ago #56462

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
From the useful Facebook group "The Anglo-Boer War (The South African War) - 1899 - 1902" I have some more on van Schalkwyk taken from a recent publication "Se het hulle Gesterf" - Graham Jooste & Abrie Oosthuizen (translated & published in English as "Innocent Blood").

van Schalkwyk owned the farm Hartebeesfontein in the Krugersdorp district was laager commandant for the district. His farm was burned by the British. After the war his widow claimed £3,000 compensation, this was refused as her husband had been executed.

He also gains another initial "R".

Geoff - good to hear from you. This Dwarsvlei matches the one I posted earlier. The reference given is for the 1:250,000 sheets we used in compiling the Gazetteer.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Where is ?????? 6 years 5 months ago #56465

• QSAMIKE
Hi Geoff.......

First of all I forgot to say Welcome to the forum.......

I got hold of my daughters camera and took these pictures from Jim Wallace's book, No Colours No Drums........

Hope they help and you enjoy......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Trooper Arthur Timlick (26 Mar 1880 - 6 Dec 1901) 6 years 5 months ago #56466

• gpink
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the help.

Trooper Arthur Timlick's (26 Mar 1880 - 6 Dec 1901) family placed a memorial stone in Fraser Cemetery in New Westminster. The stone reads ‘Arthur Son of Robert & Margaret Timlick who was a member of the BP Constabulary was wounded at Dwarfslie died at Krugersdorp Dec. 6 1901, Aged 21 yrs. 8M’. Interestingly the stone reads ‘BP Constabulary’ rather than South Africa Constabulary. BP refers to the Major-General Robert Baden-Powell who led the creation of the force. On the adjacent side of the stone are the names of Arthur’s father Robert who died in 1901 and his brother Charles who had died in 1896. On top of the stone is what looks like a stump of a tree, symbolizing a life cut short, which was the case with all three men.
Attachments:

Where is ?????? 6 years 5 months ago #56467

• QSAMIKE
Photo's...... Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Trooper Arthur Timlick (26 Mar 1880 - 6 Dec 1901) 6 years 5 months ago #56468

• gpink
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a question on how men got out of their volunteer duties with the SAC.

Trooper Arthur Timlick's father Robert died on 21 Aug 1901 in New Westminster, BC, Canada. In a passage from the ‘In the Pathless West with Soldiers, Pioneers, Miners and Savages’, by Frances E. Herring, 'The son of a farmer went with Baden-Powell's mounted police. His father died unexpectedly, and the mother needed her boy, for he then would have to be the stay of the family, and run the ranch. Application was made for his return, and he was to come home with a wounded comrade...'

Arthur was shot on 15 Nov 1901 and died on 9 Dec 1901, before he could make it home.

How was this 'application' made and how much would have have had to pay to get our of his 3 year commitment? Would he need to pay for the passage home?

In the book ‘In the Pathless West with Soldiers, Pioneers, Miners and Savages’, by Frances E. Herring, is found the following passage:
‘I think I must tell one thing more. The son of a farmer went with Baden-Powell's mounted police. His father died unexpectedly, and the mother needed her boy, for he then would have to be the stay of the family, and run the ranch. Application was made for his return, and he was to come home with a wounded comrade. In the meantime a fight ensued; the men followed hot on the trail of the flying Boers. A Boer man and a boy hid in some brush, and Timlick saw his opportunity to make a capture. He and two others followed them in, when both held up their hands. Timlick, afraid the two others might shoot without noticing this, turned his head and shouted, " For God's sake, boys, don't shoot, they've got their hands up. As he turned to say this, the younger Boer shot our lad through the lungs. Every rifle was levelled on the two, for others had ridden up, and the officer in charge was only just in time to dash them up and save the lives of the cowards who killed the generous young fellow after he had spared them. Tenderly they carried him to camp, but though he lingered a few days his case was hopeless, and he knew it. The time arrived that his comrade, George McArthur, should leave for home. He was forbidden an interview, the doctor was so anxious to give the lad every chance. But Timlick wanted to send a special message to his mother, so McArthur crept under the back of the hospital tent, and took it. The very day he arrived here, he set out again for the ranch to deliver it. What it was he told to none but that sorrowing mother.’

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.897 seconds