• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Everyone.........

Can anyone tell me the location of the following places:

Dwarfslie

and

Uitkomst

I understand that they are somewhere in the Transvaal.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where is ?????? 6 years 4 months ago #56438

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Mike
Dwarfsvley (?) in Hekpoort Valley, Western TV(TH Vol.4 page 354. Nothing in TH index re the other.
Regards
IL.

Where is ?????? 6 years 4 months ago #56439

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Mike

From A Gazetteer of the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 (Military Press, Milton Keynes 1999) - Jones & Jones

Dwars Vlei (1)
[2526: 2555-2743 not marked] a farm in the South African Republic (Krugersdorp district; Gauteng), 20 km north of Krugersdorp. Variant: Dwarsvley (used in Times IV and index). Maj-Gen G. Barton's column cleared the country of local commandos from the Krugersdorp*-Pretoria* road westwards to Dwars Vlei farm which he reached on 9 October 1900 after clearing a commando from a strong position nearby. He left his infantry bivouacked on the farm for several days. On their departure the farm was immediately reoccupied by the burghers. On 2 March 1901, a commando led by Veg-Gen J.C.G. Kemp left the farm to join the forces of Asst Cmdt-Gen J.H. de la Rey. The action fought between Maj-Gen H.L. Smith-Dorrien and Veg-Gen S.F. Oosthuizen on 11 July 1900 is referred to in the Times as being at Dwars Vlei, but is more accurately known as the action at Onrust*. HMG III p.509 (map no.38); Times IV p.354 (map of the Transvaal in the end pocket), V pp.9 and 221 (map of the Transvaal in the front pocket); Smith-Dorrien pp.218-224; Wilson II pp.696-697; Doyle p.485.

There is also a Dwars Vlei in the Cape.

There are two (at least) Uitkomst in the Transvaal - what date are you looking at?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Where is ?????? 6 years 4 months ago #56440

• QSAMIKE
Thanks Meurig and Linney.........

This is with regards to an incident where Commandant Daniel Van Schalkwyk....... This was supposed to have taken place at Dwars Vlei and also Uitkomst was also mentioned...... The date I understand was Nov.15, 1901.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Where is ?????? 6 years 4 months ago #56441

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Morning Mike

As you probably know Commandant Daniel Van Schalkwyk was shot by the British in Krugersdorp December 1901 for firing at a wounded trooper of the SAC who had surrendered. Three members of A Division SAC were wounded at Uitkomst on 15-11-1901. Presumably Van Schalkwyk took a pot shot at one of these men? I can't find a detailed description of the incident in the newspapers.

I don't think this Uitkomst is in the Gazetteer; Krugersdorp is west of Jo'burg, A Division HQ was in Potchefstroom in the north-west. The two Uitkomst in the Gazetteer are to the east of Jo'burg. The Times helpfully gives the location of the SAC casualties as "near Krugersdorp".

The entry for Dwarsvlei (1) that I posted is in the correct area - "20 km north of Krugersdorp". This Uitkomst was probably a neighboring farm. I think you have your location Mike.

Have you checked the major histories Mike?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Where is ?????? 6 years 4 months ago #56442

• QSAMIKE
Thanks Meurig and Good Morning.......

Here is the information that I have been passed.......

The man being researched is 3rd Class Trooper Arthur Timilick.......

Private Arthur Timlick, a Trooper with ‘A’ Division of the SAC, was wounded dangerously on 15 Nov 1901 at Uitkomst.  He was wounded by a Boer, Commandant Daniel van Schalkwyk, who had surrendered his rifle but retrieved it and shot Timlick in the chest.  Van Schalkwyk was convicted by a military court at Krugersdorp of treachery and was shot.  Arthur died on 6 Dec 1901 at Krugersdorp

and

The London Standard from 27 Dec 1901 contained the following notice: ‘DURBAN, Dec. 26. Commandant Daniel Van Schalkwyk has been tried by Court-martial at Krugersdorp, and shot, for firing at a wounded trooper of the South African Constabulary, who had surrendered and laid down his arms.’

Thanks Again......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds