Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Where is Mooiband? 8 years 3 months ago #44622

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
Morning all

I have a query from a member on another forum who has located a grave that he suspects is a Boer War casualty. He has a name "MOSS", thats all the info I have, and that the grave is on a family farm "Waterfall" near Clocolon. Looking through "In Memorium" there are 14 names, and discounting the obvious places I am left with one unaccounted for. The SAFF list confirms the details.

Listed as being with the LNLR, DOW at Mooiband 13 June 1901

If Mooiband is near Clocolon it could be the same man, but I have not found any reference in my library to this place. Can somebody look it up in the gazetter of Boer War place names and see if there is a listing

Thanks

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where is Mooiband? 8 years 3 months ago #44624

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Jon
No, there is not. However, there are a number of places starting with "Mooi....". Nor is there any reference to such a place as Mooiband in the index of the Times History. Because Moss is listed as DoW at a certain place it may not mean that any actual shooting action occurred there; the unfortunate Moss may well have been WiA elsewhere and taken to a CCS.
Good luck
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crypt

Where is Mooiband? 8 years 3 months ago #44626

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Jon
According to the SAFF Casualty Roll two Privates of the LNLRgt (Moss & Perry) died at "Mooiband" on 13 June 1901.
I first checked the list of Boer War Free State graves : no luck.
However, they both appear on the Transvaal list of Boer War graves: Moss as listed above , but Perry with the year erroneously given as 1900 and the place named as Mooibrand.
According to Stirling, the LNLRegt was operational in the Western Transvaal in mid-1901
Over to you!
Henk

Where is Mooiband? 8 years 3 months ago #44627

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello all

Perry was killed and Moss died of wounds - The Times (June 18, 1901) states "since dead" - implying as Ian states that Moss did not die where he was shot.

The Times also shows the location as "Mooiland" - this may be a misprint or not!

Both men were in the MI according to the medal rolls, if they were still with the MI when shot then they won't have been operating with the regt, which only complicates the search for the location of this place. Both men earned clasps for service in the Transvaal and the OFS.

Incidentally Moss was POW at Sanna's Pos. His number is given incorrectly as '7041' in SAFF (and subsequent publications), it is '5041'.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Where is Mooiband? 8 years 3 months ago #44629

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 180
Thankyou all for your input, there is another MOSS who has no known grave. He is listed as being KIA at Ventersburg, nr Doornberg. Reference column has "Doornberg SE of Ventersburg" . A look at map shows that although Clocolan and Ventersburg are in the Free State it is illogical to presume it is this Moss simply due to the distance between the two places.
I have requested any other info that appears on the grave marker, so if anything concrete comes up then I will let you know.
Henk can you check your Transvaal grave list for G.Gould R.G.A., POW and wounded at Helvetia. Died from wounds. Place of burial not shown and I assume he died of wounds whilst being moved along with other prisoners to Dullstroom.
Regards
Jon

Where is Mooiband? 8 years 3 months ago #44641

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Jon
Gould's name, surprisingly, does not appear on the Transvaal List.
As he died on 29 Dec 1900, I do not think he was one of a batch of prisoners being moved.
The QSA roll entry for Gould only mentions the date of death
Henk

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds