• Page:

TOPIC:

Field Hospital, Hanover Road 12 years 5 months ago #1510

• medik
  • medik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am at the start of my researches into the role of the Granadier Guards in the Boer War. My grandfather, William Langley 8847, saw action in Cape Colony in 1901. I have his QSA medal and a single photograph showing "No 1 Guards Field Hospital, Hanover Road, CC."
Can anyone shed any light on the subject of this photograph? I must say the troops look more like bush rangers than guardsmen!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Field Hospital, Hanover Road 12 years 5 months ago #1512

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
The QSA medal roster for 3rd Grenadier Guards [8847 W Langley is listed] is dated 30 June 1902, Hanover Road, Cape Colony. It would seem they were there shortly after the end of hostilities. Perhaps even at the end of hostilities.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Field Hospital, Hanover Road 12 years 5 months ago #1520

• medik
  • medik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Mark
Thanks again for this information.
I know that hostilities ended on 31 May 1902, but does the date of the QSA medal roster indicate that they arrived at Hanover Road on 30 June?
Would the Field Hospitals have remained in-situ for a month after hostilities ended? I presume that my grandfather is one of the troops in the photograph. Is this a typical uniform for guards in the field i.e. the "slouch hat" and "drab" uniform?
Mike

Re: Field Hospital, Hanover Road 12 years 5 months ago #1521

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Mike, there's a very useful summary of what the Grenadiers did under Imperial Units on the forum:
angloboerwar.com/imperial-units/558-grenadier-guards

"The end of the war found the Guards still trekking about the and region of Western Cape Colony or occupying blockhouses and posts. The 3rd Grenadiers for many months held the line from Hanover Road towards De Aar."

It would seem the 3rd GG had been in the Hanover Road area for some months already by the end of the war. They must have remained in the area for a time afterwards. I guess the hospital was still needed as long as the troops remained.

There is a thread of letters sent home by my great grandmother in the months following the war. It gives one a idea what the country was like in the months following the end of hostilities.
angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany/120...aching-boer-children

The men in the photo look in various states of undress which would be typical of men doing work out in the remote dusty Karroo countryside. Slouch hats seem to be quite common in photos of the period.

I sent the copies of the medal roll this afternoon so give me a shout if you haven't received them.

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds