TOPIC:

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 3 months ago #24628

• Paulsinover
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Researching Forster, Judge, Shepstone and Walker
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks Frank,
Yes, I've viewed WO126... but the nature of their work neccessitated various independant missions (as March-Philips so wonderfully describes), but unlike some units, the 'who, where & when' records/stories are all scattered within other regiments' records. The task of finding specifics is daunting!
My goal is to determine whether Edgar ever met his Father or Brother when all three were in Southern Africa. Tricky, I know, but if ya don't ask... ya don't get!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 9 years 3 months ago #24637

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay, I just assumed you had not because of the way you worded your post, so perhaps you might like add the details, the nature of their work was much the same as the other class C SAMIF troops, however, the answer to your particular question would not be found in any regimental record, it would perhaps be found in any contemporary letter or diary written be them.
Regarding his brother, you should look in W076 for his record and then any of the published regimental histories.

Paulsinover wrote: Thanks Frank,
Yes, I've viewed WO126... but the nature of their work neccessitated various independant missions (as March-Philips so wonderfully describes), but unlike some units, the 'who, where & when' records/stories are all scattered within other regiments' records. The task of finding specifics is daunting!
My goal is to determine whether Edgar ever met his Father or Brother when all three were in Southern Africa. Tricky, I know, but if ya don't ask... ya don't get!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Paulsinover

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 6 years 1 week ago #58246

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
From the next Spink sale

Picture courtesy of Spink

CGHGSM (1) Basutoland (Sgt. H. J. Van Wyke. C.M. Yeo.), officially re-engraved;
QSA (8) Belm MR RoK Pard Drie Joh DH Witt (Tpr: H. J. Van Wyke Damant's Horse)

Henry Johnson Van Wyke had previously served with the Cape Mounted Yeomanry before enlisting in Damant's Horse (Rimmington's Scouts) on 13 October 1899. Besides his ability to ride and shoot, Van Wyke had lived in South Africa for 30 years and was able to speak 'a native language.'

Damant's Horse served with great distinction in the Boer War, Corporal J. J. Clements winning the unit a fine Victoria Cross on 24 February 1900, near Strijdenburg, having caused a party of Boers to surrender to him whilst wounded ' … through the lungs.'

Van Wyke was himself severely wounded at Sannah's Post on 31 March 1900, before being discharged on 28 January 1901; sold with copied research.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 6 years 1 week ago #58248

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Why doesn't the catalogue state he served the rest of the war with the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers and earned a KSA?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 6 years 1 week ago #58249

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
I agree Meurig - it is disingenuous of them to paint half the picture.

Medals to Damant's Horse / Rimmington's Guides 6 years 1 week ago #58251

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think that, certainly these days, there are rather more salerooms and dealers around that would not state clearly that a particular recipient was entitled to an additional medal/medals, than there are who actually would.
It pays very conservable dividends to look very closely at each and every recipient before parting with any hard earned money.

SWB wrote: Why doesn't the catalogue state he served the rest of the war with the Queenstown Rifle Volunteers and earned a KSA?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds