• Page:

TOPIC:

Gordon Highlanders Trio - India 1895, QSA, KSA 10 years 1 month ago #18845

• GregN
  • GregN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, I've had this trio for some time and thought I should ask the Forum if there is any information on this soldier. His medals are: India 1895 with bars: TIRAH 1897-98, PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895, QSA with bars: BELFAST, LAING'S NEK and DEFENCE OF LADYSMITH, KSA with bars:SA 1902, SA 1901. The trio is named to: 4402 PTE. A. CLUNES GORDON HIGHLANDERS

I'm wondering if there is any indication if he was wounded or anything remarkable. The medals came with a sporran badge, a single collar and a pair of shoulder titles.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gordon Highlanders Trio - India 1895, QSA, KSA 10 years 1 month ago #18847

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Greg

That is a very good trio of medals to a very good regiment. I would have expected an 'Elandslaagte' clasp on the QSA. Perhaps he missed the battle because he was unwell and stayed in Ladysmith when the rest of the regiment marched out to do battle with the Boers.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregN

Gordon Highlanders Trio - India 1895, QSA, KSA 10 years 1 month ago #18851

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Greg,
A very good trio of medals, I checked the available folio in WO97, WO363 and WO364, but, sadly found nothing, however, all the clasps on these medals are confirmed.
WO100/87 and WO100/89 in the case of his service in India with the 1st Gordon's and his Anglo Boer War service in South Africa with both battalions the QSA was issued from WO100/203 and his KSA from WO100/343
Regards Frank Kelley

GregN wrote: Hi all, I've had this trio for some time and thought I should ask the Forum if there is any information on this soldier. His medals are: India 1895 with bars: TIRAH 1897-98, PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895, QSA with bars: BELFAST, LAING'S NEK and DEFENCE OF LADYSMITH, KSA with bars:SA 1902, SA 1901. The trio is named to: 4402 PTE. A. CLUNES GORDON HIGHLANDERS

I'm wondering if there is any indication if he was wounded or anything remarkable. The medals came with a sporran badge, a single collar and a pair of shoulder titles.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Greg

Gordon Highlanders Trio - India 1895, QSA, KSA 10 years 1 month ago #18852

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Greg,

A nice trio of medals. Many of the GH received the Elandslaagte clasp so it is interesting to speculate on what he was doing that day as Brett suggests. There are quite a few examples of men of the LNLR adding the clasps DoK to their QSA even though they were not present in the siege. I wonder how much of an effect not participating in Elandslaagte might have had on Private Clunes or whether this one day was soon forgotten during the siege and subsequent events?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Gordon Highlanders Trio - India 1895, QSA, KSA 10 years 1 month ago #18879

• GregN
  • GregN's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks David Frank and Brett, I'm very happy that all the bars are good, too bad about other possible entitlements. The medals came in a Tupper Ware container with an early Army LSGC medal to the 92nd Foot which, I just discovered is also a Gordon Highlander.

The LSGC is named: CORPL ROBT IMLACH 92nd FOOT and I think was issued much earlier than Pte. Clune's group. I've asked for more info on the BMF as I'm not familiar with early British medals, most of my collecting being WW1 or later.

Regards,

Greg

Gordon Highlanders Trio - India 1895, QSA, KSA 10 years 1 month ago #18885

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
990 Corporal Robert Imlach was born in 1810, a labourer, from Kieth, he joined the 92nd at Huntly on the 8th of September 1833, he was promoted to Corporal on the 1st of May 1841, with service on Gibralter, Malta and the West Indies, he was discharged on the 9th of October 1853.

GregN wrote: Thanks David Frank and Brett, I'm very happy that all the bars are good, too bad about other possible entitlements. The medals came in a Tupper Ware container with an early Army LSGC medal to the 92nd Foot which, I just discovered is also a Gordon Highlander.

The LSGC is named: CORPL ROBT IMLACH 92nd FOOT and I think was issued much earlier than Pte. Clune's group. I've asked for more info on the BMF as I'm not familiar with early British medals, most of my collecting being WW1 or later.

Regards,

Greg

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.683 seconds