Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18793

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello

One the first page of most medal rolls for a unit there is a rubber stamp showing the date the roll arrived at the War Office, when it was checked and when medals were issued. Additionally medals rolls often carry extra notations against the names to indicate how the medals were disposed of.

For the 2 bn SWB QSAs were issued 31-12-1902 and extra notations show they went to Brecon (Depot), Peshawar (1st bn), Welshpool, Aldershot, Bloemfontein (2nd bn) and 15 medals sent private addresses. Apart from the private addresses the locations are given a symbol (except Bloemfontein) which is used against each mans name.

Pte Hearse has an 'X' against his name indicating his medal went to Brecon. He did not have his medal when he left the army. How his medal actually reached him is not known, the Depot may have posted it on or invited him to come and collect it. It is a shame the museum has no records of this, or the facts may be buried in a minute book.

The KSA roll just shows the medals were issued 21-11-1903.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1898

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18795

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Meurig,
Are you suggesting that Hearse was not in possession of his QSA by the 3rd of July 1914 and that he was in possession of only his KSA? :unsure:
Regards Frank

SWB wrote: Hello

One the first page of most medal rolls for a unit there is a rubber stamp showing the date the roll arrived at the War Office, when it was checked and when medals were issued. Additionally medals rolls often carry extra notations against the names to indicate how the medals were disposed of.

For the 2 bn SWB QSAs were issued 31-12-1902 and extra notations show they went to Brecon (Depot), Peshawar (1st bn), Welshpool, Aldershot, Bloemfontein (2nd bn) and 15 medals sent private addresses. Apart from the private addresses the locations are given a symbol (except Bloemfontein) which is used against each mans name.

Pte Hearse has an 'X' against his name indicating his medal went to Brecon. He did not have his medal when he left the army. How his medal actually reached him is not known, the Depot may have posted it on or invited him to come and collect it. It is a shame the museum has no records of this, or the facts may be buried in a minute book.

Regards
Meurig

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18797

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Morning Frank

No I am not. Hearse left the colours on 16-10-1902 on transfer to the reserves (Section B ) - so he was a civilian before the QSA (and KSA) was issued. His service from October 1902 to July 1914 was entirely on the reserves (Sections B and D).

Interestingly he appears to have missed the maelstrom of WW1 by a few weeks.

Regards
Meurig

Frank Kelley wrote: Good morning Meurig,
Are you suggesting that Hearse was not in possession of his QSA by the 3rd of July 1914 and that he was in possession of only his KSA? :unsure:
Regards Frank

SWB wrote: Hello

Regards
Meurig

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18800

• 1898's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions and for putting in the time to check the records for me.

I am very grateful.

However, I still have my doubts about my g/grandfather, Pte Hearse (real name Healey), ever receiving the medals. My reasons being that if the medals were posted to him then which address would they have used? His father's address, 34 Iron Street, Tredegar, was fake, they never lived there, and his father was an inmate in Bedwellty Workhouse by 1901 until his death in 1903. In 1903 Pte Hearse was living in Merthyr with his older brother. So that leaves his intended place of residence, 120 King Street, Cwm. But family members have confirmed, and bmd certificates and the electoral registers confirm that he only moved into that address in 1910/1911.

Perhaps he collected his medals in person from Brecon or maybe he told them his address in Merthyr.

Perhaps he simply sold his medals during the post WW1 years, as suggested.

Is it possible that as soon as Brecon posted his medals they were recorded as "Issued" regardless if they actually reached the recipient or not?

It is probably a matter that will remain a mystery.

Thank you all once again for your invaluable assistance.

Kind Regards,

Nick

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18803

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541

It has been interesting to speculate on whether he did receive his medals. My guess would be that he did at some point. I hope you are able to find out the truth one day and perhaps see his medals should they resurface.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18807

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I really cannot conceive of the circumstances, that would have to have had taken place, for a serving member of the Army Reserve, who actually re engaged into the same and is not discharged until 1914, to not actually be in possession of both his medals, in particular, given his regiment and his own circumstances during the period in question here.
If he had packed up and left for another continent, then, yes, perhaps I could.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds