Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18810

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
I concur with Frank..... If he went into the Army Reserve he would have had to have left contact information where he could be found with the Orderly Room at least.....

I am sure that he would have rec'd his medals.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1898

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18811

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Mike,
It's not that for me, it is the fact that he re engaged into it and was not discharged from it until 1914, he did not have to do that!
Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: I concur with Frank..... If he went into the Army Reserve he would have had to have left contact information where he could be found with the Orderly Room at least.....

I am sure that he would have rec'd his medals.....

Mike

When (and how) were the Boer War medals issued? 10 years 1 month ago #18815

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Nick

I understand your frustrations. Going to a source that does (sometimes!) record medals not reaching the recipient - the medal roll. There is nothing recorded for your g/grandfather to indicate he did not get his medals.

Regards
Meurig

1898 wrote: Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions and for putting in the time to check the records for me.

I am very grateful.

However, I still have my doubts about my g/grandfather, Pte Hearse (real name Healey), ever receiving the medals. My reasons being that if the medals were posted to him then which address would they have used? His father's address, 34 Iron Street, Tredegar, was fake, they never lived there, and his father was an inmate in Bedwellty Workhouse by 1901 until his death in 1903. In 1903 Pte Hearse was living in Merthyr with his older brother. So that leaves his intended place of residence, 120 King Street, Cwm. But family members have confirmed, and bmd certificates and the electoral registers confirm that he only moved into that address in 1910/1911.

Perhaps he collected his medals in person from Brecon or maybe he told them his address in Merthyr.

Perhaps he simply sold his medals during the post WW1 years, as suggested.

Is it possible that as soon as Brecon posted his medals they were recorded as "Issued" regardless if they actually reached the recipient or not?

It is probably a matter that will remain a mystery.

Thank you all once again for your invaluable assistance.

Kind Regards,

Nick

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.715 seconds