Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Philip Fick - of the Kimberley L.H. & Western Prov. Mounted Rifles 10 years 2 months ago #17517

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2151
Philip Fick

Trooper, Kimberley Light Horse & Western Province Mounted Rifles – Anglo Boer War
Trooper, Cape Police
Rifleman, 2nd South African Mounted Rifles – WWI

- Queens South Africa Medal (Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & 1902) to 30289 TPR. P. FICK. KIMBERLEY LIGHT HORSE
- 1914/15 Star to RFM. P. FICK. 2ND. S.A.M.R.
- British War Medal to RFM. P. FICK. 2ND. S.A.M.R.
- Victory Medal to RFM. P. FICK. 2ND. S.A.M.R.

Philip Fick was born in Cape Town on 20 October 1879 of unknown parentage. He first entered the spotlight at the age of 21 when, with the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War, he enlisted for service with the Kimberley Light Horse. This was at Maitland in Cape Town on 5 February 1901 and Fick, a Messenger by occupation, was assigned no. 30289 and the rank of Trooper. Single, he gave as his next of kin his sister, Maria Patterson* of 22 Burn’s Road, Salt River near Cape Town. This attestation was for an initial period of 6 months but was, in Fick’s case, renewed in August 1901.

With his second six month period having elapsed on 7 February 1902 Fick took leave of the K.L.H. and, after a break of some three months, attested with the Western Province Mounted Rifles on 28 May with no. 1509 for the remainder of the war, the termination of his service coinciding with the end of hostilities. Throughout 1902 the W.P.M.R. corps did an immense amount of arduous work in the extreme south-west of the Colony. They were often far from support and in a district much favoured by the enemy, and one almost impossible for regular troops. The corps had endless little engagements, frequently involving sharp casualties.

One of the most notable things done in the western district was the successful defence of Tontelbosch Kolk, the Boer force in the neighbourhood being stated by Lord Kitchener to be about 1000 strong. The garrison, which was partly composed of men of this corps, made use of their cover most expertly, and during the siege the WPMR only lost 2 killed and 3 wounded. It is not known whether or not Fick was part of this action.

For his efforts which carried him through the Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal, Fick received the Queens South Africa Medal with clasps to all three aforementioned colonies, together with the bars South Africa 1901 & 1902.

It can be surmised that he was one of the 94 members of the K.L.H. who formed part of what was known as the Kimberley column. In 1901 this column under Major Paris operated in the west of the Orange River Colony, and was also at work in the south-west of the Transvaal. This service, together with that in the Cape Colony would have been enough to secure the clasps to which he was entitled.

Once in uniform and astride a horse Fick must have decided that returning to civilian life as a Messenger was not for him. On 19 August 1902, some two and a half months after the end of the Boer War, he completed the Candidate’s Paper for the Cape Police at Cape Town. It is here that we get a glimpse into his physical make-up. Still 21 years of age, he was 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 135 pounds. He had light brown hair, grey eyes, a sallow complexion and tattoo marks on both arms. He claimed to have been recommended by a Major Ranklin and was able to speak both English and Dutch. He confirmed his prior service with the K.L.H. and the W.P.M.R. His parents were also both dead.

The Medical Certificate issued stated that he was sound and in good health, that his hearing and sight was good and that, probably importantly for the times, he had no indication of venereal disease. Having sworn his loyalty to the King he commenced one year’s service with the D3 Mounted Section of the Cape Mounted Police with his friend, Manuel Farrell of 24 Burn’s Road, Salt River, as his next of kin.

Fick was stationed at Willowmore, a sleepy little hamlet in the Cape Colony, and it was here, on 19 October 1903 that he renewed his service, this time for a period of three years. On 27 March 1905 he was required to complete an affidavit certifying that “No. 1297 Pte. P. Fick of the C.M.P. possesses sound knowledge of the Dutch language and is capable of carrying on an ordinary conversation in the same”

A year later, on 20 August 1906 and now 24 years of age (according to the records) he once again passed a medical examination with flying colours. It was also at this point that Fick, with four years service under his belt, signed on for a further three years. That he tired of this life becomes apparent when he purchased his discharge on 6 December 1908.

Moving to Natal at some point he enlisted with the Natal Police at Pietermaritzburg on 6 September 1911, again providing his sister, Mrs W.J. Patterson, S.A.R. Cape Town as his next of kin. Assigned no. 4480 he was assigned the rank of Trooper. Intriguingly he provided his date of birth as 26 August 1889 – a date we know to be incorrect as he could not possibly have served through most of the Anglo Boer War at the age of 11 – 13. A year later, on 6 September 1912 he was promoted to 1st Class Trooper. His physical description on attestation gave his eyes as grey, his hair as light brown and his complexion as fair. He was 5 feet 9 inches in height. Initially posted to Headquarters in Pietermaritzburg he was transferred to “H” Police District, Umgeni Court.

On 4 August 1914 the war to end all wars erupted and South Africa, as part of the Empire, was drawn into the conflict. On 18 August, a mere two weeks later, Fick as a member of the 2nd South African Mounted Rifles (S.A.M.R.) – the Natal Police were incorporated into the newly formed 2nd South African Mounted Rifles on 1 April 1913 - was ready for action. He was a Rifleman with no. 980 and, once more, provided his sister Mrs Patison (sic) of the S.A. Railway as his next of kin.

The S.A.M.R. were the Permanent Force (full time soldiers of the South African effort) and had marched up from Port Nolloth under General Lukin, across the Orange River and into German South West Africa attacking the German blockhouse at Raman’s Drift.

On 8 May 1915 Fick was sent down to Wynberg Military Hospital where he was admitted with a Not Yet Diagnosed condition. This subsequently proved to be malaria, an ailment more associated with German East Africa, and he was discharged after treatment on 12 May 1915 embarking for the front again aboard the Professor Woerman the next day. Fick was to see out the remainder of the war until surrender at Otavi on 9 July 1915 - staying on in the territory in a policing role. For his efforts he was awarded the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal all of which were sent to him.

Whilst stationed at Luderitzbucht (G.S.W.A.) he applied for 35 days leave – from 6.7.1917 until 9.8.1917 – this leave, which was approved, was for him to wed his sweetheart, 25 year old Caroline Kathleen O’Toole in Durban at the (Roman Catholic) Emmanuel Cathedral in Durban. This took place on 16 July 1917 when he was a 30 year old Corporal with the S.A.M.R. Bizarrely, he signed his name as Arthur Philip Fick – the first (and last) time the name “Arthur” was introduced.

On 20 March 1919 the Regional Commander, S.A.M.R., Roberts Heights wrote to the Staff Officer, P.F. Riflemen, Durban wherein Fick, an Acting Corporal, was asking for a transfer to the Police Establishment. Lt. Colonel Hale, recommending the move, was effusive in his praise of Fick – writing as follows: -

“One of the best N.C.O’s in the regiment, I should be very sorry to lose his services – yet do not feel justified in standing in his way of furthering himself. His prospects of promotion beyond the rank of Corporal are slight. Can anything be done for him in the brigade in view that his services be kept?”

This had come on the back of a letter from Fick (B Squadron, 2nd S.A.M.R.) who had applied in writing on 17 March as follows: -
“I have the honour to apply for a transfer to the Police Establishment, as I have heard there are vacancies in the 3rd, 4th and 5th Regiments for Constables. I may state that I am a Dutch linguist holding a certificate for same and drawing pay for it. I wish to point out that I was attached to the Umgeni Court and the City Court of Pietermaritzburg for nearly two years while serving in the Natal Police and on the amalgamation I was transferred to Wepener, O.F.S. where I was employed in the Charge Office for nearly twelve months under Captain Bentley. The reason for applying is that I am a married man, and I think I can better myself in that Department by doing so.”

On 20 July 1921 the authorities received a letter from a Miss W Fick, Philip Fick’s sister, enquiring as to his whereabouts. Nothing is known of his movements subsequent to this date.

*Maria Patterson was Maria Johanna Patterson, married in 1894 to William James Patterson a Gunner with the Royal Artillery stationed in the Cape at Fort Wyngaard.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Kimberley Light Horse man 10 years 2 months ago #17521

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Excellent account and great pictures.

Many thanks Rory
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.063 seconds