Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

503 TPR H. FULTHORPE PIETERSBURG LI HORSE 10 years 3 months ago #17037

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
That's fascinating Justin. I never understood the naming of medals to these units.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

503 TPR H. FULTHORPE PIETERSBURG LI HORSE 10 years 3 months ago #17040

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I had always believed this to be a case of wipe the name wipe the shame, the Bushveldt Carbineers were, in effect, disbanded on the 1st of December 1901 at AHQ Pretoria, the Pietersburg Light Horse having been created from its members on the 30th of November 1901 by Army Order number 4 in Pietersburg.
Even their very attractive slouch hat badges had to be replaced, but, because of Henry Fulthorpe's particular service, I would have said that he could not have any association with the Bushveldt Carbineers whatsoever.
Kind regards Frank

503 TPR H. FULTHORPE PIETERSBURG LI HORSE 10 years 3 months ago #17042

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
Yet a medal to a gentleman with the same period of of service in the Spelonken whilst with 1st Kitchener's Fighting Scouts would be only around £150, complete madness!
Kind regards Frank

djb wrote: The medal sold for US $960 or £600.

The advertisement contains an excellent picture of the naming:

503 TPR H. FULTHORPE PIETERSBURG LI HORSE 10 years 3 months ago #17043

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi All,

A QSA & WW1 pr came up on the bay some months ago, it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. It was named to the BVC and the pr was to a Qld Battalion. The fellow was kia in France /Belgium which no doubt had something to do with why it disappeared so quickly. The reserve was in the A $k's so I definitely wasn't interested.

The closest I have achieved so far is the group to RSM Rogers where the KSA is named to the PLH and the QSA to a previous unit even though he was in the BVC.

Cheers,

Jim

503 TPR H. FULTHORPE PIETERSBURG LI HORSE 10 years 3 months ago #17047

• Frank Kelley
Any medals to anyone serving not just in the Klein Spelonken and Blauwberg, but, throughout the Northern Transvaal, anywhere up to Rhodes Drift on the Limpopo and east to the Limvubu junction, are well worth having.
The whole wretched place was really quite mad and a very dangerous area to be in, moreover, it contiued to be so, even after the war for quite some time.

jim51 wrote: Hi All,

A QSA & WW1 pr came up on the bay some months ago, it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. It was named to the BVC and the pr was to a Qld Battalion. The fellow was kia in France /Belgium which no doubt had something to do with why it disappeared so quickly. The reserve was in the A $k's so I definitely wasn't interested.

The closest I have achieved so far is the group to RSM Rogers where the KSA is named to the PLH and the QSA to a previous unit even though he was in the BVC.

Cheers,

Jim

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.481 seconds