Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

287 - Trooper P. Flynn, Orpen's Horse 10 years 3 months ago #16865

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Evening Everyone......

Well here it is my first purchase of 2014.....

FLYNN, P., 287, TROOPER, ORPEN'S HORSE, Bar: Cape Colony

The interesting things are as follows:

1. The apostrophe in Orpen's is INVERTED the same as on the medals to Strathcona's Horse.....

2. The ribbon seems to be a length of the Original Ribbon, look at the thickness of the Blue Stripes......

3. This medal may be a late or re-issue as it has been skimmed and officially re-named.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

287 - Trooper P. Flynn, Orpen's Horse 10 years 3 months ago #16868

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Mike,

That ribbon is interesting. The narrow stripes are unusual. The inverted apostrophe make for a very nice QSA.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

287 - Trooper P. Flynn, Orpen's Horse 10 years 3 months ago #16902

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
A very brief look at WO127 and WO100 shows that Flynn served in Orpen's Horse from the 13th of February 1900 and was discharged, time expired, on the 10th of November 1900, his medal and clasp was issued on the 7th of November 1902.
Surviving papers for men who served in Orpen's are in WO126/99, this unit was raised in Hopetown on the 22nd of January 1900 and was disbanded on the 1st of October 1901, I believe, in De Aar.
The actual naming on your medal is quite normal, nothing unusual at all, they are found both with and without the apostrophe, but, the ribbon is nice, yet another variation in manufacture, I like it very much.
Kind regards Frank

Attachments:

287 - Trooper P. Flynn, Orpen's Horse 10 years 3 months ago #16912

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Nice Mike! You don't let the new year get old on you that is for sure! Ryan

287 - Trooper P. Flynn, Orpen's Horse 10 years 3 months ago #16914

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881

Frank Kelley wrote: The actual naming on your medal is quite normal, nothing unusual at all, they are found both with and without the apostrophe, but, the ribbon is nice, yet another variation in manufacture, I like it very much.
Kind regards Frank

Good Morning Frank.....

I should have stated that the Dated Medals to the Strathcona's have the inverted apostrophe where as the Un-Dated medals are the right way around.....

The ribbon is very silky but I don't want to the burn test on it and in checking some of my other medals that I have I found that 4 others had the same ribbon as well but this is the best and the longest piece...... I am not sorry to say but I am a cleaner and in most cases replace the ribbon but I always keep the original ribbon that the medals came on in an envelope in their file.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

287 - Trooper P. Flynn, Orpen's Horse 10 years 3 months ago #16928

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
LOL Mike,
The burn test? Polyester will melt, there is no need to burn anything, if you put a flame near the edge of a piece of polyester it will begin to melt, silk, cotton and rayon does not, so no need to have a fire.
The naming is nice with the apostrophe and I have seen medals to Orpen's both with and without, I don't think they are quite as rare as some people would have you think.
I do try to avoid anything that has been officially re impressed, but, sometimes you just need to buy them, over the years I've seen a good many that were, Marshall's Horse springs to mind for example, still, waste not, want not! :(
Kind regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote:

Frank Kelley wrote: The actual naming on your medal is quite normal, nothing unusual at all, they are found both with and without the apostrophe, but, the ribbon is nice, yet another variation in manufacture, I like it very much.
Kind regards Frank

Good Morning Frank.....

I should have stated that the Dated Medals to the Strathcona's have the inverted apostrophe where as the Un-Dated medals are the right way around.....

The ribbon is very silky but I don't want to the burn test on it and in checking some of my other medals that I have I found that 4 others had the same ribbon as well but this is the best and the longest piece...... I am not sorry to say but I am a cleaner and in most cases replace the ribbon but I always keep the original ribbon that the medals came on in an envelope in their file.....

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.826 seconds