Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

He has given me complete satisfaction... Robert Fyfe King, Dist. Engineer 10 years 3 months ago #16835

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
The story of Robert Fyfe King is not necessarily a unique one but, thanks in part to the wealth of material I have been able to uncover, one can gain a glimpse into the life of a man who sought employment in South Africa from the "Old Country" and whose adventures took him into the siege of Ladysmith where he became an intimate of Sir George White's. QSA's to civilians of substance are also quite rare. A fellow ABW Forumite who drops in from time to time will remember having once had this medal.

Robert Fyfe King M.I.D.

District Engineer, Public Works Department, Natal Civil Service

- Queens South Africa Medal to R. King, District Engineer

Robert King was born at Hamilton, near Glasgow on 5 November 1854 the son of William King, a gun maker by trade and his wife Elizabeth Forrest King, born Fyfe. King was educated at Hamilton and Edinburgh before taking for his wife Agnes Allan of Ardrie, on 3 December 1875 when a very youthful 21 years of age.

Prior to his arrival in South Africa he was the Manager-in-Chief for 15 years to Robert McAlpine & Sons of Glasgow, a Railway Contracting firm employing 7000 men.

According to that wonderful tome Twentieth Century Impressions of Natal, published in 1906, King was a brother of the late Mr. J.F. King, M.I.A. and came out to South Africa from the “Old Country” in 1890. Naturally there was a lot more to Robert King than this innocuous comment would suggest and the task I gave myself was to find out more about the man.

Robert Fyfe King, to give him his correct name, was engaged on the Durban Harbour Works for two years subsequent to his arrival in Natal as Assistant to the great Cathcart Methven, Engineer-in-Chief. Prior to this and, indeed, for a number of years thereafter, the authorities in Durban had been battling to find a way to dredge the harbour, extend its mouth and make it in every way safe for ships to navigate into its bowels. Various schemes had been tried at great expense and a number of reputations had been “shipwrecked” in the process. King would have been employed by this department at the time when things were not quite settled and a workable solution, of grave concern to residents and the Colonial Government alike, not yet happened upon. For this information we have the Natal Who’s Who of 1906 to thank – they provided a brief biographical vinaigrette on King at the time.

On 19 July 1893 King began the first of many correspondences concerning his career by penning a letter on Natal Harbour Board stationary to Lieut. Colonel A.H. Hime, R.E., a later Prime Minister of Natal, as follows,

“Sir, I beg respectfully to offer you my services for work under (Railway) Construction department, should you have an opening for me.

I have had very large experience in Bridge and Viaduct buildings, both for Arch and Girder, and also Coffer dams for Foundations, Railways, Road-making, and buildings of almost every kind.

For the past two years I have been General Foreman of Natal Harbour, and also for six months in charge of the Back Beach Battery work, but owing to Mr Methven having to reduce expenditure he dispensed with the office of General Foreman.

It occurred to me that you might require someone to commence the Bridge over the Umkomaas (River) if so, and you think me suitable, I would like to do my level best to carry out the work to your approval and satisfaction.

Trusting you will bear me in mind should you have a vacancy of any kind and I take the liberty of enclosing a letter from Mr Methven, as also copies of my testimonials.

I have the honour to be Sir, your obedient servant etc. Robert King, Pietermaritzburg.”

The testimonials referred to provide us with wonderful insight into what King had been up to in the years prior to coming to South Africa. The first was from J.L. Booker & Co., Vulcan Engine, Boiler and Machine Works of Liverpool and was dated 23 January 1889. It read as follows:

“I have pleasure in bearing testimony to the ability and zeal of Robert King, and also to the industrious manner in which he devotes his energy and experience for the interests of his employers.

He is a man of practical building experience, and in the large additions he has carried out, viz.: Boiler Shops, New Saw Mills, Building in Boilers and tall Chimney Stalks, besides Earthworks and Railway lines, all for the Naval Construction and Armaments Co. at Barrow-in-Furness, he has completed the whole of the contract in accordance with Plans personally, in a thoroughly experienced manner, such as only a skilled and reliable man could do.

I have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone who requires his services, whether it be for the Railway undertakings, Large Buildings, or any leading place of trust which requires management, care and skill. (Signed) John L. Booker, Consulting Engineer.”

The next testimonial came from Grangemouth Saw Mills and was dated 6 June 1890. It read as follows:

“This is to certify that Mr Robt. King has been with us for one year, as Manager of our Timber Yard and Saw Mills, and during that period he has proved himself trustworthy, steady, and very obliging in every respect. He leaves us for South Africa, and we wish him every success, and consider him a very superior and intelligent Gentleman, and one who is bound to succeed in life. (Signed) Muirhead & Sons.

Glowing tributes indeed from his previous employers! The last testimonial was that of Cathcart Methven:

“I have much pleasure in certifying that Mr Robert King, General Foreman of these works, has been engaged by me in that capacity for the last two years. During the whole time he has given me complete satisfaction, and is thoroughly honest, steady and reliable, while his practical knowledge extends over an unusually large field. As his testimonials, previous to his arrival in this Colony, will show, some of the works of which he had charge at Home were of an important character, and were personally known to me, as were also some of his employers, and I have therefore the greater confidence in recommending Mr King to anyone requiring the services of a skilled inspector of public works. Mr King is especially well acquainted with all the forms of masonry brickwork and drainage, and is possessed of considerable ingenuity in overcoming difficulties.

I understand he is applying for the post of Sanitary Inspector at Johannesburg, and I feel sure that the position is one that he would fill with thorough efficiency.” (Signed) Cathcart W. Methven, Engineer-in Chief, and dated at the Point, Durban, on 23 November 1892.

Quite where the idea of relocating to Johannesburg came from is unknown but it was never King’s intention to leave Natal.

King’s application for employment with attached testimonials did the normal bureaucratic round with the Colonial Secretary asking the Colonial Engineer if he had “any employment which you can offer this man?”

To this came the reply “I regret I have no employment to Mr King. I have, however, noted his name.” In modern day parlance this would be termed the “kiss of death” but our forefather’s possessed greater integrity and the application was in fact passed on to the Engineer in Chief with a request for a “note” to be made of it.

On 4 August a reply was sent to King as follows, “Sir, With reference to your letter of the 19th ultimo applying for employment in the construction Dept. of the Railways I have the honour to inform you that your application has been duly noted by the Engineer-in-Chief. I return herewith, the testimonials forwarded with your application.”

Thwarted, King next applied himself to the European Land and Immigration Board writing to those worthies from his home “Glenlee”, Durban on 28 August 1893:

"Gentlemen, I have the honour to submit for your approval, my application for the vacancy of Manager and Secretary to your Board, and do so with confidence, having had a good business as well as practical training which would be of value in fulfilling the duties of the office with credit and satisfaction.

I was brought up in a large Agricultural district, and was employed on the Duke of Hamilton’s model Home farm for two years, where I gained a good general knowledge of farming. Afterwards I was apprenticed to the building trade, and in course of time was made Manager of a very large business, and in that capacity had to attend to all correspondence, and making estimates, and reports etc.

I have a thorough knowledge of Book Keeping. Both Single and Double entry, as well as business routine and feel sure my practical experience would be found valuable to Artisans and others in advising as to their general requirements on arrival in the Colony.

For the past two years I have been employed as Foreman of Works under Mr Methven and only on account of economy, he told me he was obliged to give me notice. I am married, active, and of temperate habits, and should your Board consider me eligible for the Appointment I shall at all times devote my earnest and best attention to your commands. Enclosed please find my testimonial which I trust you will find satisfactory.” A copy of this was sent by King to Lt. Col. Hime.

Despite his eloquence and his very obvious abilities it seemed that King was still “in the market” for a job. His entreaties must have, at last, fallen onto sympathetic ears as we next encounter him in the Zululand region of Natal in 1895 and the subject of a letter from W. Bosman, Director of Public Works, to the P.W.D. in Eshowe on 15 July 1896. It read as follows:

"These are to certify that Mr Robert King was selected for the post of Clerk of Works, amongst 42 applicants, on the 6th November 1895.

There were extensive works in hand notably the construction of the Eshowe Gaol, with which Mr King was intimately connected. I have always found in Mr King an excellent worker, a most zealous Officer, and his sound knowledge and long experience on Building Construction invaluable.

The position of trust Mr King so ably filled has to be abolished on account of the discontinuance of all Public Works in Zululand, and it is greatly regretted that his valued services cannot be retained”

Sadly, life had dealt him yet another cruel blow and he had lost another post to circumstances beyond his control. On 7 September 1896 he wrote to the Public Works Department from Eshowe in Zululand:

“Sir, I have the honour to inform you, that as the Zululand Government have entirely suspended all Public Works, and Buildings this year, it has thrown me out of employment and I have pleasure in offering you my services in any capacity you may think proper to place me.

I regretted much to hear of the decease of Mr Timewell at Durban and it has occurred to me that you might require someone to fill the vacancy caused thereby. Should you be able to favour me with the appointment it will be my earnest endeavour to discharge all the duties entrusted to me, in an efficient and economical manner, to your entire satisfaction. Awaiting your esteemed commands.”

How does the old saying go? – When opportunity knocks....

On 7 October, in reply to his letter, King was asked to call on the Engineer in Pietermaritzburg “as there is every probability of my being able to offer you an appointment which under ordinary circumstances might, I think, be regarded as a permanency.”

King’s luck was about to change - on 19 October 1896 a “Minute Paper relative to the appointment of King as District Superintendent of Works” was submitted to the Minister, Lands & Works by the Chief Engineer of the Public Works Department (P.W.D.) – it read as follows:

“Herewith for your approval letter of appointment to Mr King. In Mr King’s case, I have altered the title “District Engineer” to “District Superintendent of Works”. This is necessary because Mr King, though very suitable and having large experience, is not a qualified Engineer. Besides, as the Headquarters for this district will be in Maritzburg and the Officer in touch with the Head Office, the appointment is not so important as either the Coast or Up-Country Districts. For the same reason, the salary is fixed at a lower rate, viz: £300 to £350.”

King’s letter of appointment was handed to him on 22 October 1896:

“Sir, I have the honour to inform you that the Minister of Lands & Works in the Public Works Department of this Colony for the Midlands District, viz:- the Counties of Umvoti & Pietermaritzburg, as also the Main Road from Hancock’s Drift to Harding through the Cape Colony, and the Village of Harding, but not the County of Alfred.

This appointment will take effect as from the 19th instant, and will be subject to six months notice on either side. Under it, your salary will commence at the rate of £300, per annum, rising by annual increments of £12 subject to the approval of the Engineer, P.W.D. You will be allowed travelling expenses at the rate of 15/- per diem, and actual out of pocket expenses for horse or trap hire.

You will clearly understand that this appointment does not entitle you to any of the benefits enjoyed by members of the permanent Civil Service of the Colony.

I have the honour etc.”

With this post now his own King was “back in business” - part of his duties included the supervision of several men to wit Bazley, Rawlinson, Antel, Fitzgerald and Logan, almost all of them from old Colonial families. It also meant that he was in charge of the Pietermaritzburg (Northern District) as well as the New Territory, an area of 10 000 square miles, where he was responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges and all public buildings.

For the purposes of executing his new role King was now supplied with a Railway Pass for travelling between Botha’s Hill outside Durban and Nottingham Station in the Natal Midlands.

In 1899, on the eve of the Anglo Boer War, it was reported that King had passed the Civil Service Examination and, in consequence thereof he was recommended for the permanent establishment of the post of Second Clerk. This met with resistance as there was no money for the post in the budget and King’s tenure looked as if it was again in danger with his superior writing that “he is satisfactory as a clerk and I should be sorry to lose him.”

After much toing and froing it was agreed that King be given a probationary post for six months working out of the District Engineer’s office in Eshowe – this was to commence on 15 February 1900.

All of this was taking place as a backdrop to the Siege of Ladysmith several months earlier. We turn again to the 20th Century Impressions of Natal for a better idea of where King was and what he was up to:

“In October 1899, when the war broke out, he left in the last train despatched from Newcastle to Ladysmith, where he remained throughout the siege, and was present at the first Council of War presided over at Ladysmith by Sir George White. He was asked for, and gave, his advice on several occasions in connection with the defence of the town, and was mentioned in dispatches. At the conclusion of the war he received a medal and clasp.” (The medal part we know to be true but there is no evidence to suggest that he was awarded the Defence of Ladysmith clasp.)

As a welcome distraction to the siege, King was a witness to the marriage of his son William Allan King, a Lieutenant in the Scottish Horse, to Alice Sarah Plunkett on 15 January 1901 at the All Saints Church in Ladysmith. The wedding reception must have been a dour affair with rations scarce to come by.

For his contribution to the war effort King was mentioned in Sir George White's despatch as follows:

"Mr (W) King, District Inspector, Public Works Department, Mr R Brooke and the officials of that department, rendered most valuable assistance in every possible way."

With the war a thing of the past King returned to his normal employment and, on 24 November 1902 found himself as the District Engineer for Newcastle. The date was an auspicious one for him as it was the day that he was voted a fully fledged Member of The Institution of Civil Engineers. Despite having practised in that capacity for many a year he was now fully qualified and the member of a Professional Body for the first time.

The Election Form is instructive as it provides a detailed breakdown of the candidate’s education. In King’s case he received his education at the Public School, Hamilton Academy, for 12 years from 1860 until 1872. His scientific training was in the form of private tuition under Whitworth during 1883. He worked his Pupilage under James Henderson Esq., Engineer and Architect from 1873 until 1876 and he was an Assistant to His Grace, the Duke of Hamilton. The Council, having considered the recommendation of Five Corporate Members, balloted King as an Associate Member on 12 April 1904.

The 1909 Civil List (Natal) shows that R. King, District Engineer, P.W.D., retired on 1 November 1905 and received an annual pension of £198.8.11. Was this the last we were to hear of him? Not at all – King, now freed from the shackles of having to earn a living, devoted himself to local politics and, having moved to the tranquil surroundings of Dundee in Northern Natal, sought public office. He was successful in this regard and was voted as the Councillor for Ward 2; he was also on the board of the Dundee (Permanent) Building Society and, almost as a final accolade, the Mayor of Dundee in 1912. The Natal Who’s Who of 1906 recorded that he was a Member of the Association for the Advancement of Science and that his hobbies were “Dogs and Horses.” His address was “The Bungalow,” Dundee.

Robert King passed away at the age of 69 years 8 months on 17 July 1921 at 76 Douglas Street, Dundee. He was survived by daughters Jean Botha, Leila Elizabeth Fyfe French and Anne Lindsay Anderton as well as sons Robert Fyfe King and Gordon Alexander King.

Many years later, Mrs Sheila Henderson, Chairman of the Dundee Museum Committee, wrote to a relative of King’s asking for material on Robert King for the Dundee Centenary 1982 publication. The reply she received was as follows:

“In reply to your request for material on my grandfather who was twice Mayor of your town, I have to forward herewith an extract from “Who’s Who” and a photograph of him in his mayoral robes and trust that these will be of use for your collection. I am afraid that these are all I have, as I was brought up with my maternal grandparents in the Transvaal and do not remember seeing Grandfather Robert King.

His eldest son was my father, William Allan King who was shot dead whilst serving with the Government Forces against the rebels at Hammanskraal in September 1914. His second son, Robert Fyfe died recently in Umtata where he retired as Chief Native Commissioner before the last war, in which he served as a Colonel. His youngest son Gordon was a Barrister in London and he has a son in the USA somewhere.

He had three daughters: Jean who was the social editor of the Pretoria News for years; Anne who married an Anderton, who was the manager of the Standard Bank in Dundee and Leila who married the son of Lord French and moved with her husband, after the Boer War, to England. Yours faithfully, W. Allan King, Edgehill, Muizenberg, Cape Town.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

He has given me complete satisfaction... Robert Fyfe King, Dist. Engineer 2 years 7 months ago #78750

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Always nice for a diligent search of the newspaper archives to be rewarded by, in this instance, a nice little "write up" on the recipient, along with a bit of an obituary.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.369 seconds