Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

5586 Corp R Charnock East Lancs Regt 10 years 3 months ago #17425

• pjac49
  • pjac49's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
David

This looks to be the right man, as he joined the line regiment on 14 March 1898. My man's number was 5586, and it falls into the correct timeline of number 5579 being issued on 1 Feb 98 and 5950 on 25 April 1898. However, I can find absolutely nothing else about him. I've rechecked the nominal roll, pension records etc. Can anybody suggest any other potential sources of information? Assuming he is entitled to the medals and clasps (and I have no reason to think otherwise) can anybody explain why he might be missing from nominal rolls etc.? He reached the rank of corporal according to his medals , so he must have served for a while at least

Thanks

Patrick

Thank you for these leads. Roger Charnock looks a good fit. Joined 3rd Batt E Lancs (militia) 31/3/97 and then 1st Battn on 14/3/98. I'll do some more digging.

Patrick[/quote]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5586 Corp R Charnock East Lancs Regt 10 years 3 months ago #17431

• chal3oye
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I know nothing about him. I was just speculating that, as a casualty, his name might not appear on the roll, but I don't think that would normally be the case.I can't think of a reason why he wouldn't be there, but maybe it's not so uncommon- I posted a similar query a few days ago about 11871 A Powe, 10th Mountain Battery, whom I can't find either.
GuL

5586 Corp R Charnock East Lancs Regt 10 years 3 months ago #17460

• pjac49
HI chal3oye
Looks like there's something missing here, as this post is a quote from an earlier one of mine. I hope you had some info re my question in the post before last. Indeed, if anybody else does, I'd be delighted.

Thanks

Patrick

5586 Corp R Charnock East Lancs Regt 10 years 2 months ago #17979

• pjac49
Hello all.

I'm still on a quest to find some evidence of my man's entitlements and would appreciate any help in understanding why he doesn't appear on the medal rolls anywhere and where else I might find some information. In this regard in the 1901 census(taken on 31 March)I have found a Pte Roger Charnock East Lancs Regt, born in Warrington about 1879, at The Royal Victoria Hospital ( Netley Military Hospital) at Southampton. Probably the same man. Don't know if he'd be there because of wounds or disease. The 1st battalion reached South Africa in February 1900 and was still there in 1902 and presumably he returned to SA since he got the KSA with 1901 and 1902 clasps. He's Corporal on the medals so was presumably promoted after March 1901

Does anybody know of other individuals who seem to have genuine medals and clasps awarded to them but
don't appear anywhere on the rolls?

Patrick

pjac49 wrote: David

This looks to be the right man, as he joined the line regiment on 14 March 1898. My man's number was 5586, and it falls into the correct timeline of number 5579 being issued on 1 Feb 98 and 5950 on 25 April 1898. However, I can find absolutely nothing else about him. I've rechecked the nominal roll, pension records etc. Can anybody suggest any other potential sources of information? Assuming he is entitled to the medals and clasps (and I have no reason to think otherwise) can anybody explain why he might be missing from nominal rolls etc.? He reached the rank of corporal according to his medals , so he must have served for a while at least

Thanks

Patrick

Thank you for these leads. Roger Charnock looks a good fit. Joined 3rd Batt E Lancs (militia) 31/3/97 and then 1st Battn on 14/3/98. I'll do some more digging.

Patrick

[/quote]

5586 Corp R Charnock East Lancs Regt 10 years 1 month ago #18409

• pjac49
Just giving this a nudge to see if anybody can respond to my question about possible reasons why I can't find my man on the medal rolls.

Thanks

Patrick

5586 Corp R Charnock East Lancs Regt 10 years 1 month ago #18420

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Patrick,

I have been through the QSA roll in WO100/184 and cannot find any man of this name. There are no missing pages in the online roll.

Can you post pictures of the naming please?

Thank you
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.096 seconds