TOPIC:

Transport Medal 10 years 5 months ago #15790

• Noel
  • Noel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I’m not entirely sure whether this is the correct forum for this question, so if not then please just move me along, but I have a query regarding the Transport Medal. The medal in particular belonged to E. W. Barry and has been in the family for years (before you ask, I found mention of E. W. Barry on this website, hence why I’m here) and I find it very curious because:

1. We don’t know of anyone in the family with the surname ‘Barry’ so no one is entirely sure how it ended up with us
2. My mother’s side of the family think it must have come from my father’s side, and vice versa

As I said, this isn’t something that was picked up from a car boot sale three weeks ago but has been around for years and was left in a box of family odds and ends (including a WW1 victory medal, again for someone no one recognises, a coronation medal and some maundy money) and I’m curious to find out more about E. W. Barry. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Also, I don’t know whether anyone here would know, but the ribbon for the medal has long since been lost. Does anyone know, or could recommend, where I could get a replacement?

Many thanks,

Noel

P.S. I can post a picture of the medal if anyone is at all interested, but it seems reasonably standard from what I’ve seen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transport Medal 10 years 5 months ago #15795

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Noel,

Not much but I had a look at the "Transport Medal" medal roll and I found your man in Ref ADM171/52 page 125.

He is confirmed as having the medal with the South Africa clasp attached.

It shows him as belonging to the Johnston Line and was sailing aboard the Templemore which was built in 1894 and scrapped in 1913 as a 2nd Chief(Well it looks like 2nd Chief)

Please excuse any possible slight errors as the pages are not the easiest to read.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Transport Medal 10 years 5 months ago #15797

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Noel,

That's quick a nice family heirloom to discover.

Will trace trace the family histories and see if you can find him?

Replacements ribbons are available from several medal dealers. Chris Dixon in Bridlington would be a good place to start.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Transport Medal 10 years 5 months ago #15809

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Noel and welcome to this forum,
The William Johnson & Co shipping line employed additional officers on board its vessels sailing under government contract to South Africa during the Anglo Boer War.
Your man served in this capacity as a second officer as well as actually being both a second and first officer on the various voyages to and from South Africa.
I have to say that the medal is a lovely thing to find, they do change hands, here, for around the £1000 mark, so please do look after it!
I can't speak for others here, but, I would like to see a photo of it, if you wish to post one.
Kind regards Frank Kelley

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds