Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Extraordinary stories to a 'general' award of the D.C.M. to the R.E. 10 years 5 months ago #15706

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 121
Dear all,

I like to think that the following details of a Royal Engineers
Lance Corporal, buried in the depths of the 'Gloucester Citizen' (4th June 1902), are a good example of stories that can be found behind the long, general 27th September 1901 list of D.C.M.s published in the 'London Gazette'.

Best wishes,

Justin

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Extraordinary stories to a 'general' award of the D.C.M. to the R.E. 10 years 5 months ago #15715

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Justin,

I totally agree with you. There must be lots of information like this available in a wide range of sources. It's great when there nuggets are unearthed and made available as in this example. The DCM is similar to the DSO in that many awards were made for gallantry and meritorious service and where, for most, the deeds remain largely undocumented in a single place.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Extraordinary stories to a 'general' award of the D.C.M. to the R.E. 10 years 5 months ago #15722

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentleman,
I think it is very important to remember only a very few of the rank and file actually received the DCM, a great many gallant acts went without any reward whatsoever! :(

Extraordinary stories to a 'general' award of the D.C.M. to the R.E. 10 years 5 months ago #15726

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Justin

This post is a response to congratulate and thank you for all your recent contributions dealing with the DCM. I have enjoyed reading them.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.476 seconds