Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

10 dumb QSA questions to prove I’m a fresh recruit 10 years 6 months ago #14926

• Jon
  • Jon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 50
1. What was the logic of preventing the Cape Colony and Natal clasps to any one individual (Army Order 94 para 16 and 26)?

2. Nearly 70% of medals to Naval units had no bars (Gordon/Fevyer) - why? Does this mean they just stayed on their ships in port as they were engaged in moving troops to/from South Africa?

3. Many town guard units had no bars. Why? If they were towns in the Cape Colony why were they not entitled to the Cape Colony bar?

4. The main battle for Bloemfontein was Driefontein, for Johannesburg was Doornkop and for Pretoria was Diamond Hill. All three battles were within 30 miles of these cities and the capture of these cities was the central thesis of Robert’s strategy. So why was one bar named after the city, and two after the battlefield?

5. Is it safe to assume Imperial troops are composed of troops who had to be shipped in to South Africa, whereas Colonial units were comprised of South African residents?

6. Is there a list somewhere of how many of each bar was awarded? Rolls seems to exist for a number of individual bars, but is there a list which estimates how many of each of the 26 bars was actually issued?

7. What is the final word on maximum to one individual? Is it 10, 9 or 8 – including or excluding date bars?

8. A number of sources state the end date for the Natal bar was 17 May 1900. (eg Gordon, various places on this website) but AO 94 clearly states 11 June – which makes more sense as it was immediately after Laings Nek and thus Natal could be said to be free of the Boers and have no more active service. Rhodesia Bar finishes on 17 May – date of Relief of Mafeking – so some logic there. CC/Tvl/OFS bar eligibility extended right to the end of the war. CC/Natal/Rhodesia bar eligibility started with the beginning of the war, Tvl when Roberts forces crossed the border (Vaal River), but OFS started only after the battle Paardeburg (despite this being clearly in the OFS, as was Magersfontein 2+ months before). Why does OFS eligibility start so late?

9. Do the ribbon colours have any significance?

10. The R type of reverse were in fact all with raised dates, but, apart from the 50+ issued, ALL had the dates removed – some still visible by ghost dates? The F type of reverse was therefore the second batch minted (and with no date).

Would very much appreciate answers or comments.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 dumb QSA questions to prove I’m a fresh recruit 10 years 6 months ago #14928

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Fantastic Questions.....

Just a few quick answers.....

2. Nearly 70% of medals to Naval units had no bars (Gordon/Fevyer) - why? Does this mean they just stayed on their ships in port as they were engaged in moving troops to/from South Africa?

The bars were only given to men who had service ashore, all others who stayed on-board only rec'd the medal..... One of the best to find is H.M.S. Sybille

3. Many town guard units had no bars. Why? If they were towns in the Cape Colony why were they not entitled to the Cape Colony bar?

This was decided by someone on high in the War Office.....

5. Is it safe to assume Imperial troops are composed of troops who had to be shipped in to South Africa, whereas Colonial units were comprised of South African residents?

Us Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders were also classified as Colonials by the British.....

6. Is there a list somewhere of how many of each bar was awarded? Rolls seems to exist for a number of individual bars, but is there a list which estimates how many of each of the 26 bars was actually issued?

I do not have any knowledge of a list.....

9. Do the ribbon colours have any significance?

None that I know of......

10. The R type of reverse were in fact all with raised dates, but, apart from the 50+ issued, ALL had the dates removed – some still visible by ghost dates? The F type of reverse was therefore the second batch minted (and with no date).

I have always had an argument about this..... The reverse dated medals I classify as Type 1, the re-stamped and ghost date I classify as Type 1A, I have seen medals with no ghost date and R type I call Type 2 and the F type I call Type 3..... So I think that there are actually 4 types of reverse..... There are a few that agree with me and a lot more who do not.....
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

10 dumb QSA questions to prove I’m a fresh recruit 10 years 5 months ago #15463

• Jon
Found answer to Q3 Townguards elsewhere on the forum:

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/15-important-...ook/8335-town-guards

10 dumb QSA questions to prove I’m a fresh recruit 10 years 5 months ago #15707

• Jon
Q7 What is the last word on the maximum bars awarded?

samilitaryhistory.org/vol023gd.html

10 dumb QSA questions to prove I’m a fresh recruit 10 years 5 months ago #15717

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Jon,

I thought these were good questions and in no way dumb.

I believe the maximum number of clasps to the Army is 10 and 9 to the Navy.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds