Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA medals what does (8) stand for on the medal roll info 10 years 6 months ago #14701

• holden
  • holden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello im just looking on the medal roll and ive found info for a medal i have.
Its a QSA to 3960 pte E.Seddon it has his no on the roll on this site and an eight(8)in brackets does this mean the number of bars hes entitled to? the medal i have has 6 bars on it Belfast Diamond Hill Johannesburg O,F,S,Tugela Heights Cape colony...being six.
Any Info would be welcome please.Bill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA medals what does (8) stand for on the medal roll info 10 years 6 months ago #14702

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good Afternoon Bill,
Welcome to this forum, is the man you refer to in the 14th Hussars?
If so, he is additionally entitled to the South Africa 1901 clasp as shown on WO100/117 page 344, but, not the South Africa 1902, so that is seven clasps, page 310 confirms the other six clasps, moreover, it also has the note "To Home Station" and gives a date of the 29th of May 1901, given that, I would suggest an error on this site in the transcription of their Supplementary Roll in volume 117.
A good rare QSA to a cavalry ranker in the "Chambermaids" who fought on both fronts, his South Africa 1901 clasp was issued on the 24th of November 1905, so you could just get an example and slip it over the ribbon, anyway, a really nice find, well done!
Regards Frank

holden wrote: Hello im just looking on the medal roll and ive found info for a medal i have.
Its a QSA to 3960 pte E.Seddon it has his no on the roll on this site and an eight(8)in brackets does this mean the number of bars hes entitled to? the medal i have has 6 bars on it Belfast Diamond Hill Johannesburg O,F,S,Tugela Heights Cape colony...being six.
Any Info would be welcome please.Bill.

The following user(s) said Thank You: holden

QSA medals what does (8) stand for on the medal roll info 10 years 6 months ago #14703

• holden
  • holden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Frank,
Thank you for your swift reply, your correct 3960 Pte S Sedddon 14/Hrs Im delighted the medal is correct I shall obtain a 1901 clasp and as you say just slip it over..thanks ever so much.
Bill

QSA medals what does (8) stand for on the medal roll info 10 years 6 months ago #14704

• Frank Kelley
Hello Bill,
It is a very good medal, sorry I just assumed you bought it, but, of course you might not have, was Seddon a member of your own family?
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: holden

QSA medals what does (8) stand for on the medal roll info 10 years 6 months ago #14705

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Bill

Seddon is entitled to "Relief of Ladysmith" - making 7 battle & state clasps plus SA01 giving 8.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

QSA medals what does (8) stand for on the medal roll info 10 years 6 months ago #14707

• Frank Kelley
LOL, I can't count, sorry Bill, I missed that on you original post, if the Relief of Ladysmith clasp, which is very clearly shown on page 310, is missing on your medal, I would regard it as a little suspect, you need to take a close look at the rivets!

SWB wrote: Hello Bill

Seddon is entitled to "Relief of Ladysmith" - making 7 battle & state clasps plus SA01 giving 8.

Regards
Meurig

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds