Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

14the Hussars - unique to both fronts? 10 years 6 months ago #14494

• Jon
  • Jon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 50
Can anyone validate this please? I've been told (by a dealer) that the 14 Hussars were the only regiment to transfer fronts. So they started with the Natal FF and then were sent to the South African FF thus many earned battle bars from both fronts - starting with TH RoL then Joh / DH / Belfast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14the Hussars - unique to both fronts? 10 years 6 months ago #14496

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is correct. :) you do see that combination in their QSA roll!

14the Hussars - unique to both fronts? 10 years 4 months ago #16122

• Jon
  • Jon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 50
..and I found out why on the website under Unit Information. For 14 Hussars its states

"A and C squadrons sailed on the Victorian, arrived at the Cape on 1st January 1900, and were sent on to Durban. B squadron sailed on the Cestrian, and landed in Cape Colony on 10th January. The two Natal squadrons were for a time brigaded with the 1st Royal Dragoons and 13th Hussars. They took part in the work between 14th and 27th February, when the relief of Ladysmith was accomplished. In General Buller's despatch of 30th March 3 officers were mentioned.

After the relief A and C squadrons were brought round to Cape Colony and joined B"

So the 14 Hussars (A & C squadrons) did get battle bars on both fronts - but not because the whole regiment moved - rather 2 squadrons were moved to make the regiment whole again.

Would be interesting to know how many other regiments got battle bars on both fronts (the Imperial Light Horse is of course another one)

Rgds,
Jon

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds