Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to the Tembuland Mounted Rifle Club 10 years 11 months ago #11188

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Some time ago, code name "Madziro" posted a pic of a very nice "TMRC" shoulder title with the comment that it was an obscure unit. I thought that Forum members might like to see a QSA/KSA pair to that unit: medals impressed to "Lieut. J.A.Picken. Tembuland M.R.C.". It will be noted that the shown QSA has no bar and the KSA has the usual two date bars. The roll for the QSA dated 07121907 has the CC column crossed out and bears a marginal note re "refusal of K.M. and clasp CC". A later roll dated 20011909 now shows the entitlement to the CC clasp and also to the KSA for those who qualified. The roll for the KSA (same date) shows the entitlement to the 01/02 bars; with the marginal note re all entries that service was "embodied service on full pay".
A further interesting endorsement on the QSA rolls reads that " .. the corps was called out for active service against the enemy and served throughout the war i.e., Nov 99 to August 02 when C.M.R. returned to Transkei and relieved the last of the T.M.R.C.".
I admit to having been remiss in determining whether Lt. Picken's QSA should have a CC clasp slipped on it's ribbon. Thanks, code name "Madziro"!
In conclusion, I wonder what strings were pulled to get the qualified lads of TMRC the clasp for the QSA. I note that the roll of 20011909 was signed on behalf of the Under Colonial Secretary as the signature of the C.O. was "unattainable".
Regards to all
IL.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Tembuland Mounted Rifle Club 10 years 11 months ago #11194

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Ian,
Superb and very rare pair of medals, I think you could be forgiven for putting a Cape Colony clasp across the QSA ribbon, I would not hesitate to do just that, really a super pair!
Kind regards Frank

Medals to the Tembuland Mounted Rifle Club 10 years 11 months ago #11204

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Ian

I agree with everything that Frank wrote. This pair would stand out in any Boer War medal collection.

Regards
Brett

Medals to the Tembuland Mounted Rifle Club 10 years 11 months ago #11213

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Frank and Brett
Thanks for comments. I have had this pair for quite a while and only recently decided to look a little harder at it. I do have my flights of occasional imagination - and the title of the unit does sound like something out of Rider Haggard.
Regards
IL.

Medals to the Tembuland Mounted Rifle Club 10 years 11 months ago #11223

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
Well, I really like this pair, I did look at all the entries for this man, but WO100/276 page 207 is the most interesting as it confirms his Cape Colony clasp and it is not what one would ever expect to actually see, but, there it is, a really super pair!
Kind regards Frank, :sick: ! the shade of green is insufficient!

Medals to the Tembuland Mounted Rifle Club 3 years 4 months ago #73366

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
From the Noble Numismatics sale of Friday.

QSA (0) (31 Pte J Green, Tembuland MRC) impressed.

Hammer price of Au$280.

After Rory's post on Private Kirsten, I now think of the TMRC more as the Umtata Town Guard.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds