Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kaplan Auctions 1 year 11 months ago #82649

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Anyone what the QSA to Murray’s Scouts went for?
I gave it a nudge but obviously I did not nudge it enough.
Could be a while before we see another.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kaplan Auctions 1 year 11 months ago #82672

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Jim,

I do not know the answer to your question but I do know it was more than a hammer price of R3,600 (AU$330).
Dr David Biggins

Kaplan Auctions 1 year 11 months ago #82682

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Good afternoon David,
I also know that it was more than a hammer price of R5,225.
Someone wanted it more than me and probably a few other collectors.
There is one main suspect here in Australia, in Queensland to be exact.
But, good luck to him/her. A very desirable medal.
Jim

Kaplan Auctions 1 year 11 months ago #82684

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Jim,

Mate, I hope that you are not talking about me. I'm still trying to mend my pockets after the blowout that I had at the Noble Auctions late last month. But, I do agree with you, a worthy QSA for any collection.

Trev

Kaplan Auctions 1 year 10 months ago #83068

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the Kaplan Auction on 14 May 2022.

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDALS

G5
Two Bars: Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith 5491 Private G. SKEE – 2nd Battalion Royal Lancaster Regiment. The King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment landed in Durban on Christmas Day 1899 and together with the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers, the 1st South Lancashire’s, the 1st York and Lancaster Regiment, formed the 11th Brigade under Major-General Woodgate, which was part of the 5th Brigade under Sir Charles Warren. As preparation for the attack on Spion Kop they were camped on Three-Tree Hill, south-west of Spion Kop. The Regiment was heavily involved in the Battle of Spion Kop, being part of the foremost trips when the mist lifted, and the British force were in a very exposed position to Boer rifle-fire. The Regiment lost 3 Officers and 34 men killed, and 4 Officers and over 100 men Wounded in the Battle
EF R2 200

G6
Two Bars: Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith 2986 Private C.H. Rentowl – 2nd Battalion Dorset Regiment. Charles Henry Rentowl was born at Woolwich, London, and enlisted into the Dorset Regiment on the 19th August 1889 at the age of 19. At the time of attestation, he was a labourer and had previously served with the 3rd Battalion Hampshire Regiment. He had been put on the army reserves but was recalled at the outbreak of the South African War (1899-1902). Prior to that he had seen service in Egypt from the 9th March 1892 to the 26th September 1893 and in India from the 27th September 1893 to the 2nd January 1897. He saw service in South Africa from the 24th November 1899 to the 14th June 1900 when he was invalided home. There is no record in the Boer War casualty roll, by Palmer of him being injured. The Regiment were present at the Battle of Spion Kop, but only as the re-enforcements who were sent up in late afternoon. The Regimental history records General Warren’s despatch of the 1st February – “rendering great service in carrying down a large quantity of ammunition in the dark which would have otherwise fallen into the hands of the enemy”. Two pages of research
EF R2 500

G7
Three Bars: Cape Colony; Tugela Heights; Relief of Ladysmith 268 L/Corporal G.G.S. Howard – South African Light Horse. The South African Light Horse was raised in the Cape Colony in November 1899. Initial involvement was on the De Aar railway line, but 3 squadrons were taken around to Natal and were employed under Lord Dundonald on the right flank at Colenso on the 15th December 1899. The Regiment was present along the British lines between the 19th and 27th January, whilst Spion Kop was being evacuated. The Regiment were at the fore in occupying Hussars Hill on the 14th February 1900. 1 page of research.
VF R3 000

G8
Two Bars: Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith 887 Private A. McKenzie – Thorneycroft’s Mounted Infantry. This Regiment was raised at Pietermaritzburg by Major A W Thorneycroft of the Royal Scots Fusiliers and were initially involved in patrol work. By the middle of November, the corps had reached a strength of 500. They were involved at Colenso before gaining fame, through their founder at the battle of Spion Kop. On the 23rd January 1900 General Woodgate, who was in command of the assaulting force, decided to take Spion Kop from the south-west face. The force employed was the 2nd Battalion Royal Lancaster Regiment, the 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, two companies of the 1st Battalion South Lancashire Regiment, and Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, whose strength was 18 officers and 180 men, all dismounted for the task in hand. About 11 pm on the 23rd the force moved off, and after the first half-mile Thorneycroft and his men headed the column. When dawn broke and the thick mist lifted, the British found themselves exposed and the Boers, who held the higher ground, took full advantage of their position. Very early in the battle the higher-ranking British officers were killed or mortally wounded, leaving Thorneycroft the most senior officer present. A British counterattack failed in the face of withering fire from the Boers, but Thorneycroft refused to allow any under his command to surrender. 1 Page of research. It is because of Major-General Thorneycroft’s actions at Spion Kop that medals to this regiment, and with the bars Tugela Heights and Relief of Ladysmith have become sought after.
VF R3 000

M9
Two Bars: SA 1901; SA1902 to 1344 QM SGT G MC DONALD Steinecker's Horse VF R2 000

M10
Five Bars: CC; OFS; TVL; SA01; SA02 to Civilian SURGEON J C RAMSEY Naming Engraved for officers
F+ R3 800

M11
Three Bars: CC; OFS; TVL Pte H. CROWN Rly PNR Regt
VF R1 600

M12
Two Bars: OFS; TVL Tpr W.S. NOUSE SA Lt Horse
VF R1 600

General tems

K427
BOER WAR BRIAR PIPE Beautifully carved with a profile of Oom Paul Boer War between rows of flowers. SOUTH AFRICA 1901 Engraved from William to Harry Blagg.
VF R1 100
Dr David Biggins

Kaplan Auctions 1 year 9 months ago #83561

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From sale B125, 11 June 2022

QSAs

G04 Three Bars: Cape Colony; Tugela Heights; Relief of Ladysmith 268 L/Corporal G.G.S. Howard – South African Light Horse
VF
R3 000
As per the last sale

M05 Two Bars: SA 1901; SA1902 to 1344 QM SGT G MC DONALD Steinecker's Horse
VF
R2 000

M06 Five Bars: CC; OFS; TVL; SA01; SA02 to Civilian SURGEON J C RAMSEY Naming Engraved for officers
VF
R4 000

W07 No Bar: Tpr P. KOYD Queenstown DMT
VF

W08 No Bar: Pte A. HEADWARDS Rand Rifles
VF

W09 No Bar: Pte F. POPPER Grahamstown T.G
VF

W10 No Bar: 283 Tpr D.G. GREWAR Uitenhage DMT
VF+

W11 No Bar: 3RD Cl Trooper A. FRENCH SAC
F

W12 Bar CC: J. DEACON. Confirmed on Roll – shows rank as Checker Civilian Clerks Army Service Corps
VF

W13 Bar CC: 568 Sjt G.M. FURTIS Brabants Horse – confirmed on Roll Komgha M.R.
VF+

W14 Two Bars: CC; SA 1901 1210 Pte J. POWEL 1st City Vol “J. POWEL” reengraved
F

W15 Three Bars: TVL; Tug HTS; Rel of L 7 QMS Sergt W.P. DARING Jhb M.R – confirmed on Roll Ambulance Corps
VF

W16 Three Bars: CC; OFS; TVL
1428 Tpr S.J. GUFFIELD SAC with 16 pages of photocopies of his attestation pages included
VF+

W17 Five Bars: CC; OFS; TVL; SA01; SA02
3RD Cl Trooper W.L. NOWARD SAC – 32 photocopies of his attestation papers included
VF+

Y 905 SAGS
Bar 1877-8 Pte Jobo KAMAS Nat Levy
VF

Y 906 Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal 1896
Bar Bechuanaland
114 Serj W.R.B. THORN C. PCE
VF

Y 912 Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry Medal 3rd Batn 1901-1902
32455 Pte T. SCRIVENS
VF
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds