• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Report of the presentation at Buckingham Palace from the Manchester Guardian:

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

King Edward's Transport Medal Presentation 11 years 1 week ago #10129

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Justin

Do you know if there is a roll available of the Transport Medals handed out by the King?

Regards
Brian

King Edward's Transport Medal Presentation 11 years 1 week ago #10132

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4522
Brian,

On the page for the Transport Medal , there is a roll of recipients. These list where the medals was presented by the King.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

King Edward's Transport Medal Presentation 11 years 1 week ago #10137

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
David

I looked at this yesterday :blush: and did not notice the Kings presentations medals in the right ups, age is bad news!

Sadly Mr Garland was not one of the "few".

It might be a stupid question, but would the Kings presentation medals command a premium and if so how much?

Brian

King Edward's Transport Medal Presentation 11 years 6 days ago #10151

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brian,
HM King Edward was a very keen sailor himself, moreover, as Prince of Wales he had competed at Cowes on an anual basis, I am sure he would have enjoyed meeting the senior officers and Masters of the various companies contracted by his government in the Anglo Boer War, indeed, many were already known to him.
The original medal roll from which the medals were actually issued is at the TNA Kew, a transcribed version exists here on this site.
Those medals that were earned by Master's are usually additionally impressed "In Command", yes, those medals that he handed over himself do normally command a premium, just how much all depends on both potential buyers and the market on the day in question.

Incidently Brian, when HM was Price of Wales, at Cowes, before the war, his cousin, Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany, who was also an admiral in the Royal Navy, was over for the event at the invitation of his grandmother Queen Victoria.
On that particular occasion, the Prince of Wales had his close friend Sir Charles Lipton on board his yacht, someone asked the Kaiser where his cousin was, he gave a very brief and rather rude reply "He's gone boating with his grocer!"

Typical wretched hun! :(

Kind regards Frank

Brianc wrote: Davidn

I looked at this yesterday :blush: and did not notice the Kings presentations medals in the right ups, age is bad news!

It might be a stupid question, but would the Kings presentation medals command a premium and if so how much?

Brian

King Edward's Transport Medal Presentation 11 years 5 days ago #10189

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brian,
I really am not a nautical/navy collector and never have been, however, as a Boer War collector, I have to say that these medals have always fascinated me with the end result that I have bought quite a few over the years.
So here is one of your "few" this particular gentleman was appointed to command the Trojan, of the Union Steam Ship Co, a hospital ship, after the death of its master Captain Cassidy.
He had already been appointed to the rank of master by his employer and their owner, Messrs Donald Currie & Co and was an experienced officer, after the war he continued to ply his trade and fly both the Blue ensign and the flag of the Union Castle Steam Ship Co on the lucrative mail run down to the Cape, Natal and East Africa for another two decades before he retired.
Trojan was originally built for the Union SS Co in 1880 by JG Thompson on Clydebank and was registered in Southampton that same year.
Anyway Brian, I am pleased to see that you have got your Transport Medal, that was a very good buy I think and I am sure you will be pleased with it.
Again kind regards Frank

Brianc wrote: David

Brian

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.247 seconds