Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Presentations of Medals by KIng Edward VII June and July 1901 11 years 1 week ago #9862

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 121
It seems that there were two large presentations of QSA medals on Horse Guards by KIng Edward VII on 12 June to 3000 troops and 26 July 1901 to 3500 of the returned Imperial Yeomanry. On the first occasion, Lord Roberts and Sir Alfred Milner were the first two recipients.

Has anyone ever seen lists of the units that were present at either event?

Justin

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Presentations of Medals by KIng Edward VII June 1901 11 years 1 week ago #9863

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good afternoon Justin,
I wish I had, moreover, if it was the case that those particular medals had been noted in WO100 as actually "Presented by HM the King" as is the case for the senior recipients of the Transport medal, what would they be worth?
Kind regards Frank

JustinLDavies wrote: It seems that there were two large presentations of QSA medals on Horse Guards by KIng Edward VII on 12 June to 3000 troops and 26 June 1901 to 3500 of the returned Imperial Yeomanry. On the first occasion, Lord Roberts and Sir Alfred Milner were the first two recipients.

Has anyone ever seen lists of the units that were present at either event?

Justin

Presentations of Medals by KIng Edward VII June 1901 11 years 1 week ago #9864

• Frank Kelley
Justin,
As I look at those pictures, it occurs to me, the logistical problem here, the medals are named, the recipients would have to be in order to receive their particular QSA from HM's own hand! :woohoo:!
It must have taken quite some time! :)
Regards Frank

Presentations of Medals by KIng Edward VII June and July 1901 11 years 1 week ago #9865

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 121
It appears that the first three QSAs on 12 June 1901 were awarded to Lord Roberts, Sir Alfred Milner and Sir Godfrey Lagden.

Then, as The Times noted:

"By the King's command, Lieutenant-Colonel B.E. Spragge D.S.O., Colonel W.K. Mitford and Lieutenant-Colonel C.R. Burn, of the Honourable Corps of Gentleman at Arms, all of whom have commanded battalions of the Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa, have been summoned to receive their medals at His Majesty's presentation next Wednesday. His Majesty desires that they shall take precedence, and be the first presented for decoration."

Presentations of Medals by KIng Edward VII June and July 1901 11 years 1 week ago #9866

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Hello Justin.....

The first QSA's presented as a unit was to the Strathcona's Horse in February 1901.....

But I understand that the very first medal was presented to Lord Roberts in memory of the death of his son just befor Roberts left for South Africa....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Presentations of Medals by KIng Edward VII June and July 1901 11 years 1 week ago #9867

• Frank Kelley
Sir Godfrey was a very worthy recipient, I wish I had his medal!

JustinLDavies wrote: It appears that the first three QSAs on 12 June 1901 were awarded to Lord Roberts, Sir Alfred Milner and Sir Godfrey Lagden.

Then, as The Times noted:

"By the King's command, Lieutenant-Colonel B.E. Spragge D.S.O., Colonel W.K. Mitford and Lieutenant-Colonel C.R. Burn, of the Honourable Corps of Gentleman at Arms, all of whom have commanded battalions of the Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa, have been summoned to receive their medals at His Majesty's presentation next Wednesday. His Majesty desires that they shall take precedence, and be the first presented for decoration."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds