Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

An Elandslaagte at last! 11 years 2 weeks ago #9778

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
In the early 1990's I was able to buy a ziplock bag contining 5 QSA's all Town Guards and D.M.T.'s for $100.00 and I remember the dealer saying "That no one was interested in them because they had no bars".....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An Elandslaagte at last! 11 years 2 weeks ago #9782

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Thanks David

Paul :)

djb wrote: At last indeed and a great QSA to boot!

Pte Cunningham did die of disease in Ladysmith on 11 Mar 1900 and was buried in Ladysmith.

I should be able to find his name on a couple of monuments for you.

Best wishes
David

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

An Elandslaagte at last! 11 years 2 weeks ago #9845

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Mike,
It is these medals that can often turn out to be very interesting indeed, they are still not rated as perhaps they should be, on the plus side, bargains can still be found!
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: In the early 1990's I was able to buy a ziplock bag contining 5 QSA's all Town Guards and D.M.T.'s for $100.00 and I remember the dealer saying "That no one was interested in them because they had no bars".....

Mike

An Elandslaagte at last! 11 years 6 days ago #10186

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Paul

Nice medal.

Obviously the 2 date bars have been added at a later stage by someone possibly trying to up the value? I had a similar senario and removed the date bars for placement on a Cape Garrison QSA medal that needed them.

I know a lot of people will disagree with my actions and claim that if they came with the medal, leave them on. I tend to disagree and argue that if they were put on to enhance the medal, remove them.

Regards
Brian

An Elandslaagte at last! 11 years 4 days ago #10259

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Brian,
Thank you for your reply and comments.
I think the addition of the "extra" clasps are a subjective view.
I agree with you that the should not be there but I also think they are part of the medals history.
I feel I am only a custodian of my medal collection and one day they will be passed on so for the moment I will keep them in place, but maybe at some point I will have a change of mind :ohmy:

Paul :)

Brianc wrote: Paul

Nice medal.

Obviously the 2 date bars have been added at a later stage by someone possibly trying to up the value? I had a similar senario and removed the date bars for placement on a Cape Garrison QSA medal that needed them.

I know a lot of people will disagree with my actions and claim that if they came with the medal, leave them on. I tend to disagree and argue that if they were put on to enhance the medal, remove them.

Regards
Brian

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

An Elandslaagte at last! 11 years 4 days ago #10264

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I seem to remember talking about this medal on here, before you actually got it?
You advised me at that point that the rivits appeared to be okay and that left me wondering why it had been issued like that, however, after looking at the photo you have posted, I can see that the medal was not issued with those two date clasps, so I think I too would remove them, moreover, if you did, you would have two spare clasps ready for that annoying moment, that often occurs when you buy a "verfied" medal, only to then discover that such a clasp was issued from the supplementary roll.
Kind regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.476 seconds