• Page:

TOPIC:

New to my collection Royal Dragoons 11 years 2 weeks ago #9696

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
A recent aquistion from the weekend.
4894 Pte.John Allison 1st Royal Dragoons
With clasps Orange Free State and Transvaal, he is additionally entitled to the South Africa 1901.
The medal is engraved in large sloping serifed letters.
John Allison was born in the parish of St.Mary's in the town of Long Sutton in the county of Lincolnshire in 1868.
Son of George Allison, a general labourer, and his wife Emma Allison nee Gardner.In the 1881 census young John is shown living with his parents, three siblings and his maternal Grandmother at 21 Lime Street, Sutton St.Mary, Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire.
Emma was a widow still living at the same address when the 1911 census was taked but ther is no sign of John.
John Allison was employed as a labourer and was a member of the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, the Norfolk Regiment, before attesting for the 2nd Dragoon Guards at Great Yarmouth on 16th June 1886 aged 19 years.He was described as 5 feet 7 inches in height with light brown hair, blue eyes and a fresh complexion.
He was allocated Regimental No. 3171 and posted to the Cavalry Depot at Canterbury on 24th June 1886, where he commenced his basic training.
Private Allison was granted his first good conduct badge on 16th June 1888 and accompanied his Regiment to India on 18th September 1888.He forfeited his good conduct pay on 27th February 1891 but was appointed Lance Corporal on 30th Decemver 1892.He reverted to Private on 14th April 1893 and was granted his second good conduct badge on 27th February 1894 just prior to returning home to England on 27th march 1894.
Private Allison was transferred to the Army reserve on 27th May 1894 but re-engaged on 2nd february 1898 in section D Army Reserve for a further four years. He was recalled to the colours and posted in the 1st (Royal) Dragoons Reserve Squadron at Shorecliffe on 29th May 1900 and allocated Regimental No.4894
Private Allison joined his Regiment on active service in South Africa on 7th June 1900 but was invalided home on 29th June 1901 having been found medically fit for home service only.
On 1st May 1902 he was re-transferred to Army Reserve and was discharged on termination of his engagement after 16 years service on 15th June 1902.
Accoring to his service papers John died at 43 Elliot Street Stockton on Tees on 22nd November 1939.Stockton is the next town to me although this Street no longer exists I know of the area where John spent his last days.
At the time of his death he was an Army Pensioner

Thanks for looking
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to my collection Royal Dragoons 11 years 2 weeks ago #9701

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32
Hi Mate,

Good stuff. Those blokes always seemed shortish? Think I picked up a 5ft 11 inch bloke that kicked around 1901 & 02 but waiting for confirmation. Will post if I have actually kicked the ball between the posts.

Cheers Stephen

New to my collection Royal Dragoons 11 years 2 weeks ago #9705

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Great Medal Paul.....

I am glad to see that there is another polisher just like me.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

New to my collection Royal Dragoons 11 years 2 weeks ago #9710

• coldstream
Mike :lol:
Well spotted, when I get a new medal I always give it a little clean unless it in a condition were I think it would detract.
A case in example is the Elandslaagte that I have just acquired because I think it still has its original ribbon, some I leave alone, but I must admit I like a polish :lol:

QSAMIKE wrote: Great Medal Paul.....

I am glad to see that there is another polisher just like me.....

Mike

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

New to my collection Royal Dragoons 11 years 2 weeks ago #9714

• coldstream
Hi Stephen,
Yes I think a small stature was common in that time, how times have changed with good health and diets.

Stephen Bayley wrote: Hi Mate,

Good stuff. Those blokes always seemed shortish? Think I picked up a 5ft 11 inch bloke that kicked around 1901 & 02 but waiting for confirmation. Will post if I have actually kicked the ball between the posts.

Cheers Stephen

New to my collection Royal Dragoons 11 years 2 weeks ago #9732

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Paul

Another fine addition to your collection! Congratulations. The service record is very important to my appreciation of a medal.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds