Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs to Damant's Horse 4 years 1 week ago #68911

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Arrived today, a purchase from the last Noble’s Auction.
QSA - Sjt I H Davis, Damant’s Horse, Bel, M, River, RoK, Paard, Drief, Joh, D Hill, Witt.
KSA - 541 Tpr, Pietersburg L.H., SA01, SA 02.
I have been looking for one of these medals for quite a few years and thankfully Noble’s had one not long after a long service leave payout was received.
I have had a look on the ‘net’ and it seems that a collector here in Aust had the QSA and then the KSA was found in a dealer’s list in the UK. A good reunite there. I have been collecting for nearly 40 years and havn’t achieved one!
At some stage the late Bill Woolmore purchased the medal/s.
I will have a look at the research that came with the medals and see if I can sort out the reference to FID as he isn’t mentioned in the medal rolls. He may be in the book by Binskin? I don’t have my copy at hand.

The other query is a quote ‘served with Morant’, the medal roll has ‘PLH’ next to his name, no mention of BVC as seen against other entries.

This is one purchase of four, I’ll post the others when I have gathered some info.

Keep well team,

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs to Damant's Horse 4 years 1 week ago #68912

• Peter Jordi
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi

A magnificent pair to two desirable units.

From the sole entry in Woolmore's book at pages 177-178 it appears that he enlisted in the PLH on 17 February 1902.

Best regards
Peter

QSAs to Damant's Horse 4 years 6 days ago #69011

• jim51
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I have been looking for any connection between Morant and Davis. As you said, Davis joined on the 17th Feb and after looking thru some notes I have found that Morant & Hancock were executed on the 27 Feb. Taking into consideration being arrested and time in jail waiting trial and trial time it would be doubtful if they actually met each other let alone served under / with each other.
I have another QSA to a fellow who joined the BVC and deserted very soon after in May 01. I have been trying to establish if there is a connection between the 'goings on' in the BVC and his desertion, but that is for another post.

Jim

QSAs to Damant's Horse 4 years 6 days ago #69012

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Jim,

A fantastic pair to research. Wow!
Dr David Biggins

QSAs to Damant's Horse 4 years 6 days ago #69014

• jim51
Hi David,

As mentioned I had been on the lookout for some time for one of these. The 8 clasp Rimington’s is my ‘Holy Grail’ of Colonial QSA’s. The only other would be a raised date. but that wait would have tested my patience somewhat. I’ll hopefully post an update next week. The FID notation needs to be looked at.

Jim

QSAs to Damant's Horse 4 years 6 days ago #69016

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Jim
Some time ago, you mentioned a book by BINSKIN in relation to FID research. Were you actually referring to "Field Intelligence Department 1899-1902" by David BUXTON? I should have picked that up earlier, I suppose. However, just now I checked Buxton's index for your Davis - no index entry.
I have had an interest in the ID/FID for some time and occasionally an FID mention in a chap's service comes up with a blank. For what it is worth, I think that sometimes a man was temporarily on attachment to the FID for a certain purpose and it never featured on the rolls at all.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds