TOPIC:

City Coins 11 years 1 month ago #8853

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Frank,

I think we should encourage all our friends to adopt the same view!
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 11 years 1 month ago #8855

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning David,
What I meant was that City Coins are not the be all and end all, there are good medals to be found in other auctions, in particular, those in Great Britain.
However, the fact remains that City Coins do have a good annual offering for the Boer War collector, if a collector is interested in the Boer side, then they do eclipse the auction houses here, but, this can only be expected.
Also, as they are in South Africa, one would expect them to have a good amount of South African raised units too.
Again, this is not a surprise, a great many men came from all across the Empire to fight in the war and a great many remained in South Africa after the war.

In fact, after the war, one of Lord Milner's principal concerns was how to deal with the large number of men, who had served in the SAMIF, who had stayed on in South Africa, they were all of the "adventurous" type" what to do with them.
Along with members of the government, he felt that these men could be settled in the Transvaal and Orange River Colony and he devised a scheme to make this happen, farms were purchased and divided up into lots of workable size, of the men that made a go of it, some were sucessful, others were not, in the Northern Transvaal, in particular, many joined the new Transvaal Volunteers.

So I would still expect to see good medals for sale in South Africa for years to come.
Kind regards Frank

City Coins 11 years 1 week ago #9773

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It is that time again. 17:00 today marks the close of postal auction 63.

Good luck with your bids!
David
Dr David Biggins

City Coins 11 years 1 week ago #9792

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32
Now we wait. Takes about a week for the results to be known?

Trying to recall the time it took last time. My wife is going to send me to coventry if I am too successful!! Such is life.

City Coins 11 years 1 week ago #9795

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Stephen

Your wife must be very tolerant if all she does is send you to Coventry.

Regards
Brett

City Coins 11 years 1 week ago #9796

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Stephen,

I'm sure Coventry is not that bad at this time of year and it is a small price to pay for one or two items from the City Coins catalogue.

I'm sure for the last few auctions the wait time has been less than a week and was reduced to a few days for 62. I imagine the variables of lots, bid complexity and number of bids will determine the duration of the agony to be endured?

I am working on a new bidding strategy. I sent in my bids only yesterday in the hope that late bids are more successful because the imminent deadline forces a higher bid. This is not a very strong strategy I know and I'll let you know how it succeeds - if at all!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.602 seconds