Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA/KSA to the Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Cape artillery 11 years 2 months ago #8105

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
Hi all

I yesterday acquired a pair of medals to a Gunner John Neill Jordan, no. 357 who served with the Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Cape Artillery.

The KSA has the standard two bars but the QSA has, apart from the Transvaal and Cape Colony clasps, the Wittebergen clasp.

I would like to know more about this outfit and what fighting they got up to.

Also, does anyone have any notion of how many QSA/KSA combinations were issued to this outfit. I used to think that KSA's to colonials were a rarity but I now have several such combinations in my "collection" so perhaps they are not as scarce as I originally thought.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: QSA/KSA to the Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Cape artillery 11 years 2 months ago #8108

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Rory,
His medals are verified in WO100/264 page 34 and WO100/364 page 52, in addition, I took a very quick head count in 364 and there appear to to be 50 such KSA's issued over 6 pages from their officer commanding down.
There appear to be 141 men on the main roll which is 7 pages, with 27 Wittebergen clasps issued, I have not looked at their supplementary roll, some very interesting characters in this corps too.
I have always felt, that the KSA, is indeed, a scarce medal to Colonials when you start number crunching.
Regards Frank

Re: QSA/KSA to the Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Cape artillery 11 years 2 months ago #8110

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Just for interests sake.

The KSA roll to the Cape Police (WO 100/359) is 151 pages long and with approx 8 to 9 names per page on average. From this you will see that the KSA is rather a common medal to the CP. This includes CP Dist 1, 2 and the Special Police.

Cheers
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: QSA/KSA to the Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Cape artillery 11 years 2 months ago #8114

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
The fact that so many of the Cape Police were awarded the KSA contributed to the resentment of those members of the Natal Police who had also been on active service until the war's end, but were denied this medal. I have written about the KSA and the Natal Police elsewhere on this forum (see link below).

Brett

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...-to-the-natal-police

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds