Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 1 year 10 months ago #83408

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The three verified Wepener QSAs and the single incorrect QSA sold equally well at Noonan's today:

Pte Beier, CMR and Pte Davies, CMR, each sold for a hammer price of £550. Totals (inc VAT for UK only): £708. R13,300. Au$1,200. Can$1,100. US$850.

Pte Haynes, CMR, sold for a hammer price of £600. Totals (inc VAT for UK only): £773. R14,500. Au$1,310. Can$1,200. US$930.

The incorrect QSA to Pte West, CMR, sold for highest of the four medals with a hammer price of £650. Totals (inc VAT for UK only): £837. R15,700. Au$1,420. Can$1,300. US$1,010.

Someone is going to have an unwelcome surprise.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 1 year 10 months ago #83415

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
This very rare group was sold on Bid or Buy last week - it fetched R31000 £1565. I'm posting it here because the QSA has a Wepener clasp - the medals, including the rare Cape LSGCM are to 354 Sjt. C. ROGAN, Cape M.R.

Sadly the BWM is missing from the group which starts with a Basutoland clasp CGHGSM.

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 1 year 10 months ago #83419

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That is a shame. Otherwise a very nice group of medals.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 1 year 10 months ago #83422

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
The LSGC medal was also damaged, with the suspender being linked to the medal with a chain link, otherwise it would have achieved a slightly higher price in my opinion

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 1 year 10 months ago #83423

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121

crypt wrote: The LSGC medal was also damaged, with the suspender being linked to the medal with a chain link, otherwise it would have achieved a slightly higher price in my opinion

Could well have done Jon. I spoke to the buyer here in the UK, he wasn't fazed by the condition or lack of a BWM - it was the Wepener he was after.

Rory

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 1 year 8 months ago #84162

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Pictures courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Wepener, Wittebergen, Belfast (Capt: J. Ross-Garner, Brabant’s Horse);
KSA (2) (Capt: R. Garner. S.A.M.I.F.)

Joined BrH in December 1899. Served with 1st and 2nd Battalions. Captain 1 June 1901. Resigned 21 December 1901. Also served SAMIF (Captain) from 1 January 1902, GFC (Captain) 1 April to 15 July 1901 and Burgher Camps Department (Captain). Inspector of Refugee Camps and SO to the Administrator, No 2 Area. Mentioned on the website British Concentration Camps of the South African War 1900-1902 for his work at Balmoral Camp.

British War and Bilingual Victory Medals, with MID (Lt. Col. C. R. I. Ross Garner.);
France, Third Republic, Order of Agricultural Merit, 4th Class breast badge, silver-gilt and enamels with rosette on ribbon

Order of Agricultural Merit London Gazette 29 March 1922: ‘Lieutenant-Colonel Cornelius Robert Ross-Garner, Labour Corps.’

MID London Gazette 10 July 1919 and 11 July 1919.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds