Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 2 years 3 months ago #80433

• nemesis
  • Thank you received: 16
David. The Nat Archives were directing me to Ancestry yesterday. That has rectified itself today and I downloaded the roll. Thanks. I appreciate your assistance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 2 years 3 months ago #80441

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
Max,

Coincidentally, I was working on the Wepener text yesterday.

Here is his entry:

Porteous, 785 Private William Sutherland, Kaffrarian Rifles | QSA (4) CC Wep Tr Witt; KSA (2) | Born in Storness, Orkney Islands c 1878. To South Africa c 1897. Served in KR 22 October 1899 to 3 December 1900 and 17 June 1901 to 30 June 1902 (35023). Also served CinCBG (22788) 7 December 1900 to 6 June 1901. Aged 22 at CinCBG attestation. Single. Trade: Miner. NOK: Father, Orkney Islands, Scotland. In the Great War, enlisted in the South African Overseas Expeditionary Force in October 1915. He arrived in France in June 1916 and was posted to the 4th SAI. He was killed in action on the Somme, 12 October 1916. The following obituary notice appeared in the Orcadian, 11 November 1916: 'Private William S. Porteous was the second son of Mr. Duncan Porteous, baker, Stromness, and of Mrs. Porteous. After serving his apprenticeship to his father's trade, he went to South Africa 19 years ago, and he found employment in the mines where so many Orcadians sought their fortunes. He volunteered his services in his country's cause against the Boers, and he went through the Siege of Wepener. In this campaign he so distinguished himself that he was promoted to Sergeant in the field, and he held the South African Medal. When the call came for volunteers for France, he again laid aside his civil occupation and donned the uniform of his King. It was in khaki that he visited his native town in February last, being his first visit since he left 19 years before. Four brief days were all too short after such a long absence, so he even availed himself of a one day's visit in June, immediately before crossing the Channel. Cheery letters were received from him as occasion permitted and he appeared to withstand the trials of the trenches and the hardships of active service very well. The fatal news was conveyed to his parents in a letter from a comrade by whose side he was shot in a charge across 'No Man's Land' on 12 October. Private Porteous was a widower and leaves two children. Nobly did he do his duty during the Boer War, but nobler still was his courage and determination to again face the foe on the sterner fields of France, where he testified with his life, his love and devotion to King and Country.' | Medals: QSA (4); BWM and VM (Pte 4th SAI); Memorial Plaque (William Sutherland Porteous); Pretoria Citizen's Service Medal for the Great War. DNW April 2004 £550 | Ref: 254p52, 254p114, 362p72
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 2 years 3 months ago #80445

• nemesis
Thanks for that. I will add to the file. Theres some suggestion on the roll that his KSA was returned ?
Max

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 2 years 3 months ago #80446

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
Yes, it appears to have been returned 5 March 1909.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 2 years 3 months ago #80452

• nemesis
Thanks for looking
Max

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 2 years 3 months ago #80929

Just noticed that Trooper Morton`s QSA is on DCM medals website for £595
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.869 seconds