Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 6 years 4 days ago #58414

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Yes David, yet another opportunist.

Biscoe - I assume you have his biography from Woolmore's book on the Bushveldt Carbineers?

He also claims service in Strathcona's Horse - but is not listed in the modern regimental history. I think his Wepener clasp is a mistake/embellishment.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 6 years 4 days ago #58415

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

djb wrote: Another Wepener man has a fascinating career too: Vincent Henry Robert Biscoe:

Entered the Royal Military College of Canada in 1897 but failed to complete due to drunkeness and insubordination. Discharged from the SAC as unsuitable. Also served 1st and 2nd Batallions, Canadian MR, 1 November 1901 to 12 February 1902. Also served PTC 21 June 1900 to 28 October 1900, LSH (523), Canadian Scouts (Sergeant) 1 November 1901 to 11 February 1902 and Pietersburg Light Horse (Lieutenant) 12 February 1902 to 31 May 1902.

After the Boer War, served in Somaliland. Enlisted in the CEF (20281) 22 September 1914 to 15 October 1915. Commissioned into the LNLR 15 October 1915 until dismissed 19 April 1916. Returned to the CEF as a private (20936) between 15 May 1916 and 15 March 1919.

Born 10 May 1880 in India. Died 19 December 1959 in Saanich, British Columbia.

It is not yet clear how he earned the Wepener clasp!

Good Afternoon Everyone.......

Back on the 12th of May 2012 I purchased at a Garage Sale the following items......A Victorian Queen's Own Rifles of Canada Cap Badge a Victorian South African Constabulary Helmet Badge and a Transvaal Town Police Cap Badge......

Along with the cap badges there was a small package of items that included a BWM to a Major J.R. Biscoe, a 76th Officers Collar Badge, Silver War Badge and a For Service at the Front badge to the Canadian Patriotic Fund......

Also a pair of Binoculars with Broad Arrow and the date 1900, and a Military Snare Drum dated 1901 with brass body .....

They all came from the same family, the Biscoe family......

When I checked the CEF documents there were 4 Biscoe's (a unique name on the roll) and they were all 4 brothers..... I still have the cap badges, Binoculars, and Drum but the medals for Major Biscoe I cannot tell at this time as they are packed away and I due to medical reasons cannot go digging to look for them.....

Since Major Biscoe did not have any service in South Africa it makes me wonder if the badges were from Vincent Biscoe....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 6 years 6 hours ago #58463

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
James Best of Brabant's Horse attested in Wepener, on 8th April, just before the siege. This is the first person I have seen attest in Wepener - but I'm only on the Bs!

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 5 years 11 months ago #58642

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
There were several very nice Wepener QSAs at DNW this week including a Captain's pair to Brabant's Horse, a SAC pair and the QSA to Trooper W Brewin of Drisoll's Scouts.

Pictures courtesy of DNW

The medal to Brewin is unusual because it is one of only 2 (that I have discovered) that includes Natal and Wepener on the QSA. The other recipient is Corporal A E James, Driscoll's Scouts, who also served in the Queenstown Rifle Volunteer and the ILH.

Both Brewin and James were listed on the DrSc roll for CC but this was crossed through and replaced by Natal.

Brewin also earned the CC clasp with the Frontier Mounted Rifles but this was not issued due to the clash with the Natal clasp.

There is a death notice in the Cape Town Archives for a William Brewin from 1903 which might be him.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 5 years 11 months ago #58646

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
Of the c.2,000 "Wepener" clasp entitlements, there does appear to be a reasonable survival rate of QSAs bearing that clasp. Examples seem to be much more available these days than in the so-called Good Old Days. No complaints of course; "Wepener" is a very interesting award and has always been a favourite.
Best regards
IL.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 5 years 11 months ago #58674

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello David

Brewin - apart from the Driscoll's Scouts roll /245p38 where else is the 'Natal' clasp noted for him, does your "BrH" mean Brabant's Horse?

Thanks
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds