Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2792 Private J. Adams, 15th Hussars 11 years 4 months ago #6209

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Evening or when some may be reading Good Morning Everyone.....

Was just shutting down my computer before I went off to the land of nod last night.... And I decided to have a look at ebay....

Low and behold right at the very top of the new listings was a QSA to the 15th Hussars with a very reasonable buy it now price....

One of the only Cavalry units that I did not have in my collection.....

The medal is named to: 2792 Private J. Adams, 15th Hussars Cape Colony and Orange Free State

According to my gleening over the years there were 23 QSA's issued to the regiment yet the list in the Units section here on this forum states 31 but that is no problem....

The information that I have is that the Rolls of these few men are at WO 100/ 117 p366-391....

Can anyone do a quick look up for me...... Oh yes he is not listed on the Kevin Asplin roll either......

Take a quick look at the photos.....

Thanks in Advance.....

Mike

The ones that I am now missing are:

4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards (19 issued) and 4th (Queen's Own) Hussars (44 issued).....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 2792 Private J. Adams, 15th Hussars 11 years 4 months ago #6213

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
His QSA with CC and OFS clasps is issued from the Remount Department in WO100/234 page 7 (handwritten page 6, on page!) "Medal+2 Clasps issd (issued)16/10/04 KM issd 18/10/04" with a note in the remarks column 15th Hussars.
His KSA is in the 15 Hussars roll WO100/305 page 84.
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

Re: 2792 Private J. Adams, 15th Hussars 11 years 4 months ago #6223

• QSAMIKE
Hi Frank.....

Thanks for the information but Damn it was only the QSA not I have to look for the KSA......

Then again it is one of the rarer Cavalry units..... I was wondering if this and the other low number QSA's i.e. the ones I mentioned 4th DG and 4th H. were employed in the Remount Department....

Thanks Again Frank.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: 2792 Private J. Adams, 15th Hussars 11 years 4 months ago #6226

• Frank Kelley
Hello Mike,
Well I don't know how much you paid for it, but, if the price was reasonable then I should be very pleased if I were you.
There were quite a few cavalry and artillery men seconded for duty in the Remount Department, but then, the army got through alot of horse's :( , whilst their medals are issued from that roll, they are often named to their particular regts.
You also see a number of civilians serving with the Remounts too, with quite a number of remount depots all over South Africa.
Regards Frank

Re: 2792 Private J. Adams, 15th Hussars 11 years 4 months ago #6230

• Frank Kelley
Mike,
Forgot to add, he served with the Johannesburg Remount Company!
Frank

Re: 2792 Private J. Adams, 15th Hussars 11 years 4 months ago #6246

• QSAMIKE
Good Evening Everyone.....

I was sitting in my den just to get away from the Trick or Treaters for a while and while sitting leaning back in my chair my eyes roamed over the shelf of my library that held all the Regimental Histories that I have in my collection..... My secondary hobby is collecting military history books, non-fiction of course.....

When my eyes just happened to fall on one book..... XVth The King's Hussars, 1759-1913..... I just about fell out of above said chair as I did not realize that I had the book.....

Chapter XIX page 334: And I quote - "305 N.C.O.'S and Men who had served in the 15th Hussars at one time or another, are known to have taken part in the war. Of these 230 were reservists, 68 men were left in England when the Fifteenth sailed for India in September 1899, and the remaining 7 either went from the Regiment in India or served with the Imperial Yeomanry: 248 were in the ranks of the 8th Hussars, 10 served in the ranks of the 10th Hussars, 8 served with the 14th Hussars, 24 men from India who were still in the Fifteenth served with Remount Companies, and the remainder with various other units.

As I stated earlier: "According to my gleening over the years there were 23 QSA's issued to the regiment yet the list in the Units section here on this forum states 31 but that is no problem...." So therefore if we take the 24 from men from India and the 7 from England that will give us the total of 31 that is stated on the forum.....

The Men from the Reserve of Cavalry that served in the 8th, 10th and 14th Hussars I am sure would have had their medals named to those units....

Boy is it nice to find this kind of information....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.749 seconds