Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 11 years 6 months ago #5430

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Hi Frank

Sergeant Mapstone's QSA is one of my favourites. I paid far too much for it, but, since my main interest in collecting medals is interest and not investment, I could not pass it over when it was offered to me.

Attached is a picture of more of my Carbineers' QSA's. Numbers 1 and 2 are 'Defence of Ladysmith' medals, while the rest are for men of the Estcourt-Weenen Squadron who took part in the 'Relief of Ladysmith'. They are single issues, except for Symons' medal (bottom right). Symons was also awarded the KSA (Volunteer Composite Regiment), which is now missing, and the Natal Rebellion Medal (Border Mounted Rifles). Symons was one of the men of the Mounted Brigade who rode into Ladysmith on 28/2/1900 to bring the Siege to an end.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 11 years 6 months ago #5432

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
They look great Brett and very well presented.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 11 years 6 months ago #5434

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Oh Dear :(
I can feel that complex returning again!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Brett Hendey wrote: Hi Frank

Sergeant Mapstone's QSA is one of my favourites. I paid far too much for it, but, since my main interest in collecting medals is interest and not investment, I could not pass it over when it was offered to me.

Attached is a picture of more of my Carbineers' QSA's. Numbers 1 and 2 are 'Defence of Ladysmith' medals, while the rest are for men of the Estcourt-Weenen Squadron who took part in the 'Relief of Ladysmith'. They are single issues, except for Symons' medal (bottom right). Symons was also awarded the KSA (Volunteer Composite Regiment), which is now missing, and the Natal Rebellion Medal (Border Mounted Rifles). Symons was one of the men of the Mounted Brigade who rode into Ladysmith on 28/2/1900 to bring the Siege to an end.

Regards
Brett

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 11 years 6 months ago #5436

• Frank Kelley
Brett,
Is it possible to pay to much for Sergt Mapstone? I am not sure, after all the Sergt payed with his life!
I don't get too excited by casualties normally, but, this is one is really superb!
I do like single QSA's to the Natal Volunteers, you don't need to worry that you are missing another medal, I do have quite a few to Natal Mounted Rifles, Border Mounted Rifles, Natal Field Artillery, Imperial Guides/Corps of Natal Guides etc, but. the Natal Carbineers has aways eluded me!
I can confirm, at this moment in time, that I am still :sick: with ENVY! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
Frank :(

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 11 years 6 months ago #5437

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
How about posting some of your "singles" Frank? Even the details if not the actual photos - We could all benfit from seeing what you have and it would be an added inducement for me to remove them from my wants list! That is assuming you want to hold on to them :)

Regards

Rory

Medals to the Natal Carbineers 11 years 6 months ago #5438

• Frank Kelley
Hi Rory,
Well, I could, but as I don't have a Natal Carbineer, it would have to be in another thread!
Here is my very first QSA, quite scarce, with from memory, only a handful issued as the regt was besieged in Ladysmith.
Regards Frank

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.672 seconds