• Page:

TOPIC:

DNW sale - 13 -14 Sep 12 11 years 7 months ago #5332

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
There is a good selection of Boer War material at the next DNW sale, including many medals to the medical services.

There is also this rare pair to G T Vince:

George Thomas Vince was born in Blandford, Dorset in September 1879 and entered the Royal Navy as a Boy 2nd Class in October 1895. Advanced to Able Seaman in March 1899, he served off South Africa in H.M.S. Beagle in the period May-October 1901, and, shortly thereafter, joined the National Antarctic Expedition under Scott at Simon’s Town.

The following extracts from Scott’s Voyage of the Discovery confirm the sad loss of Vince while serving in a sledging party under Frank Wild:

[4 March 1902]:

'The five who now remained submitted themselves to the guidance of Wild and followed him in single file as he again struck out for the direction in which they supposed the ship to lie. As they proceeded they found the slope growing steeper and the difficulty of foothold increased, especially for Vince, who was wearing fur boots, but they never doubted they would soon come to the bottom and find themselves in one of the valleys which would guide them to our winter quarters. In this manner they must have proceeded about 500 yards, when the leader suddenly saw the precipice beneath his feet, and far below, through the wreathing snow, the sea. Another step would have take him over the edge; he sprang back with a cry of warning and those behind him, hearing it, dug their heels instinctively into the slippery surface and without exception all succeeded in stopping. What followed was over in an instant. Before his horror-stricken companions had time to think, poor Vince, unable to check himself with his soft fur boots, had shot from amongst them, flashed past the leader and disappeared.'

[13 March 1902]:

'We had now finally and sadly to resign ourselves to the loss of our shipmate, and the thought was grievous to all. From the moment when he joined us at the Cape of Good Hope, Vince had been popular with all; always obliging and always cheerful. I learnt that he had never shown these qualities more markedly than during the short sledge journey which brought him to an untimely end. His pleasant face and ready wit served to dispel the thought of hardship and difficulty to the end. Life was a bright thing to him and it was something to think that death must have come quickly in the grip of an icy sea.'

There is also this group containing the much preferable (in my mind) VR LS&GC:

Egypt (1) Suakin 1885 (4762 Sergt., M.S. Corps), QSA (2) CC OFS (Lt. & Qr. Mr., R.A.M.C.), KSA (2) (Lt. & Qr. Mr., R.A.M.C.), BWM, VM (Q.M. & Maj.), Army LS&GC VR 3rd issue (4762 1/Cl. St. Sgt., R.A.M.C.), Khedive’s Star.

Good luck to those who bid.
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: DNW sale - 13 -14 Sep 12 11 years 7 months ago #5338

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
Am actually in London on that day, so no need to worry about commission bids, as you said in another thread, a bird in the hand!
Regards Frank

Re: DNW sale - 13 -14 Sep 12 11 years 7 months ago #5350

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Good luck on the day Frank!

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello David,
Am actually in London on that day, so no need to worry about commission bids, as you said in another thread, a bird in the hand!
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: DNW sale - 13 -14 Sep 12 11 years 7 months ago #5352

• Frank Kelley
Hi Paul,
I don't buy very much these days, but there are a few nice lots in this sale, it would be nice to end up with something, but, to be honest, I'm not that bothered really, so I'll see how it goes on the day!
Regards Frank

Re: DNW sale - 13 -14 Sep 12 11 years 7 months ago #5354

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Frank,

It will be great to be there on the day. I have found my visits to be quite exciting when the lots of interest come up followed by period of quiet while everything that is not Boer War goes under the hammer.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: DNW sale - 13 -14 Sep 12 11 years 7 months ago #5359

• Frank Kelley
Hi David,
Yes, I agree, but everthing seems to happen at once, time always just runs out, but at least I can combine a visit to london with a trip to Kew, an auction, shopping and then there is always the OMRS too!
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds