Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

4068 Pte.A.W.Meaton 1st Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers--Confused? 11 years 8 months ago #5026

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello forum members,
I am researching a friends QSA to a 4068 Pte.Arthur William Meaton 1st Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers.
The QSA in question has the clasps:
Cape Colony,OFS & Transvaal
He is also entitled to the KSA
I have found his attestation papers on FMP and also the medal roll details on Ancestry,this is what is confusing me.
The medal roll details show Arthur as 1st Batt.N.F. with the correct clasps as on the QSA but there is another medal roll to Head Quarter Staff Standerton Heildelburg District.
This shows the same soldier same number with entitlement to the following:
Belmont,Modder River,OFS & Transvaal
His attestation have no mention of the Belmont and Modder River clasps but list the clasps on the QSA
BTW he also served in the Sudan campaign.
I am a little confused, can anyone shed any light on this please?

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 4068 Pte.A.W.Meaton 1st Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers--Confused? 11 years 8 months ago #5028

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Is there anything written in the remarks column on either of the rolls?
What are the dates for his SA service that appear in the statement of service at home and abroad in his papers?
What I am saying is that although the 1st Battalion NF were in SA on the 23rd and 28th of November 1899 at Belmont and Modder,it does not mean to say that your man was unless confirmed in his papers, or casualty roll etc, you can't have a Cape Colony clasp and a Belmont and Modder, it was one or the other
Regards Frank

Re: 4068 Pte.A.W.Meaton 1st Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers--Confused? 11 years 8 months ago #5036

• coldstream
Hello Frank

Thank you for your reply.
Not much info on the rolls I am afraid, when I get a chance I will email them to you so you can take a look.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: 4068 Pte.A.W.Meaton 1st Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers--Confused? 11 years 8 months ago #5038

• coldstream
Frank

I have emailed you.

Paul :)

coldstream wrote: Hello Frank

Thank you for your reply.
Not much info on the rolls I am afraid, when I get a chance I will email them to you so you can take a look.

Paul

Re: 4068 Pte.A.W.Meaton 1st Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers--Confused? 11 years 8 months ago #5041

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Medal appears to be issued correctly, he was in SA at the begining, with his battalion, from his military history sheet and he did serve at some stage with the HQ Staff Standerton and Heidelburg District, during the occupation of the Transvaal, though his medal was issued from the later, 1st NF roll.
I think we must conclude that this is his correct and full entitlement in the absence of further information.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds