TOPIC:

5th Dragoon Guards William Pickavance 11 years 8 months ago #4332

• Suzieq08
  • Suzieq08's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Members - Hello again

I just wanted to thank everyone for making me so welcome to the 'AngloBoerWar.com' forum.

Previously, you very kindly helped me with information/advice pertaining to my relative, Robert J. Pickavance who served in the 5th Dragoon Guards and also in The Great War. However, after receiving a copy of Robert's British Army WWI Pension Record 1914-20 (Regimental No: 3390) I note that Robert Pickavance lists his elder brother 'William Pickavance, 5th Dragoon Guards' along side his parents James and Margaret Pickavance as his 'Next-of-Kin.'

I have tried to locate a Military Record for William (John) Pickavance, dob 28 Oct 1870, Liverpool but so far my efforts have not been successful. Please may I call upon the Members help yet again? Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Sincerely

Suzie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards William Pickavance 11 years 8 months ago #4333

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Suzie

Have looked at Find My Past and Ancestry for details of your relative but no luck I am afraid.
The only W.Pickavance I could find was on Ancestry's medal rolls but this was a Private who served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in South Africa 1899-1902
Sorry for the bad news.

Paul :(

Suzieq08 wrote: Dear Members - Hello again

I just wanted to thank everyone for making me so welcome to the 'AngloBoerWar.com' forum.

Previously, you very kindly helped me with information/advice pertaining to my relative, Robert J. Pickavance who served in the 5th Dragoon Guards and also in The Great War. However, after receiving a copy of Robert's British Army WWI Pension Record 1914-20 (Regimental No: 3390) I note that Robert Pickavance lists his elder brother 'William Pickavance, 5th Dragoon Guards' along side his parents James and Margaret Pickavance as his 'Next-of-Kin.'

I have tried to locate a Military Record for William (John) Pickavance, dob 28 Oct 1870, Liverpool but so far my efforts have not been successful. Please may I call upon the Members help yet again? Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Sincerely

Suzie

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suzieq08

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards William Pickavance 11 years 8 months ago #4337

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning,
My advice would be the same as before, check with the RDG museum, then as any service papers for this man would be WO96 at Kew, I would actually phone them (they now have an automated voice recognition system) and speak to William Spencer and ask him what his thoughts are.
The problem is, that in theory, all the service papers for this period have been copied and those that exist "should" be available on FMP, note it is free to use at Kew, to just do a manual search in WO96 would be a fruitless
exercise and I don't even think it would now be possible.
Regards Frank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suzieq08

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards William Pickavance 11 years 8 months ago #4338

• Suzieq08
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Paul

Thank you so much for kindly trying to help me re: William Pickavance - your kind help is very much appreciated indeed.

However, I am very interested in the piece of information you have located namely; "The only W.Pickavance I could find was on Ancestry's medal rolls but this was a Private who served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in South Africa 1899-1902" and shall endeavour to research this further.

Thank you again for your very kind efforts and your willingness to help me.

Best wishes always

Suzie

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards William Pickavance 11 years 8 months ago #4339

• Suzieq08
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Again Frank

Thank you too for your wonderful advice, as always it is appreciated. I followed up on your previous information regarding the RDG Museum and am just waiting to hear from them. However, I sincerely appreciate a point of contact - thank you Frank.

Sadly, I live in Lancashire and am unable to visit Kew (however, it is on my 'to do list' for the future.)

Sincere wishes

Suzie

Re: 5th Dragoon Guards William Pickavance 11 years 8 months ago #4341

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Suzie

If you are investigating the KRRC W.Pickavance his number was 2857
It is an unusual surname, maybe another relation?
I echo Frank's advice about the RDG museum in York, I have been at least a dozen times.
The staff are friendly and helpful and it is has a superb collection.
Good luck with your research.

Paul :)

Suzieq08 wrote: Hello Paul

Thank you so much for kindly trying to help me re: William Pickavance - your kind help is very much appreciated indeed.

However, I am very interested in the piece of information you have located namely; "The only W.Pickavance I could find was on Ancestry's medal rolls but this was a Private who served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in South Africa 1899-1902" and shall endeavour to research this further.

Thank you again for your very kind efforts and your willingness to help me.

Best wishes always

Suzie

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds