Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

5276 Pte.J.Shaw L.N.Lancs Dok 11 years 9 months ago #4227

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
A new aquisition today and my first Dok
Medal is unfortunatelly not in the best condition, seems like it had been varnished.
Managed a good clean with nail varnish remover (not mine!)and lots of soapy water.
It seems quite polished which I do not mind, it proves that the recipient or his relatives were proud of the award.
All clasps confirmed on the rolls and shown on David's Kimberley rolls,alas its seems the service records are not available.

Thank you for looking.
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 5276 Pte.J.Shaw L.N.Lancs Dok 11 years 9 months ago #4269

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Paul,
If you just wanted the clasp and if the price was acceptable, then I don't think condition matters to much.
However, if you only want one specimen of this particular clasp then condition is everything, but I am thinking this will be the first of several for you!
I think this clasp was underated for years here anyway, when I was collecting these in the early 1990's they were really quite cheap, but the thing was, they were around in quantity, you could buy one to the Town Guard for less than £100 and I do remember buying a group to the Town Guard, QSA and trio to the Kimberley Regt for £130, well, imagine that today!
Did not take long for times to change though, I remember sitting at Spink back in 1999 and seeing a single QSA to a certain officer in the Town Guard knocked down at £480, it still hurts, I really did want it too! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Frank

Re: 5276 Pte.J.Shaw L.N.Lancs Dok 11 years 9 months ago #4270

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,

Thank you for your kind comments and advice as always.
Yes you are correct I was missing a DoK in my collection, this one fitted the bill because it was very reasonably priced (presumably because of the condition)
Again you are correct "but I am thinking this will be the first of several for you!" always looking to enchance the collection!

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Paul,
If you just wanted the clasp and if the price was acceptable, then I don't think condition matters to much.
However, if you only want one specimen of this particular clasp then condition is everything, but I am thinking this will be the first of several for you!
I think this clasp was underated for years here anyway, when I was collecting these in the early 1990's they were really quite cheap, but the thing was, they were around in quantity, you could buy one to the Town Guard for less than £100 and I do remember buying a group to the Town Guard, QSA and trio to the Kimberley Regt for £130, well, imagine that today!
Did not take long for times to change though, I remember sitting at Spink back in 1999 and seeing a single QSA to a certain officer in the Town Guard knocked down at £480, it still hurts, I really did want it too! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds