• Page:

TOPIC:

Queen's South Africa Medal 12 years 11 months ago #393

• scl
  • scl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi - this is my first post on this forum. I joined because I've been trying to find out some details about a medal I was given some years ago. I've searched the data base and drawn a blank. I apologise beforehand if I'm not using the correct channels, but I would like to get at least a little more info from forum members if possible, or at least maybe someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction of where to look.

The medal I have is the Queen's South Africa Medal, and it has five clasps:
Cape Colony
Tugera Heights
Orange Free State
Relief of Ladysmith
Transvaal

The name on the side reads:
79751 Dr T J YATES, 68TH BTY, RFA

The database drew a blank using the above info. The individual awarded this medal is not a relative, but it would be nice to gleen any further information.

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Queen's South Africa Medal 12 years 11 months ago #420

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Scl,

The medal indicates that Driver Yates was a member of the 68th Battery, Royal Field Artillery. There is a little about the history of this battery here: www.angloboerwar.com/imperial-units/616-...tillery-68th-battery

That said, he was issued with a two clasp KSA from the roll of the 66th RFA on WO100/307 p 337.

His 5 clasps QSA was also issued off the 66th RFA roll on Wo100/142 p146. A note says he served with RA HQ in the Natal Field Force.

Are you sure the medal is named to the 68th RFA?

I cannot see any pension papers for him in FindMyPast. Did he serve into the Great War?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Queen's South Africa Medal 12 years 11 months ago #421

• scl
  • scl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David
Thanks so much for your input - and I am indeed wrong. Upon closer inspection with a glass I see it is the 66th Bty RFA and NOT the 68th. Also, I in my ignorance assumed the Dr prefx meant Doctor, not Driver!

Unfortunately I don't know any more about Driver Yates. The medal was passed on to me by an elderly great aunt who has since died, but I'm fairly certain he was no relative of mine - unless it's very distant. My aunt lived in Ammington (sp?) near Tamworth, although I'm not sure if this will help.

Again, thank you very much for spending time to do some research. It is very much appreciated!

Kind regards
Ken

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds