• Page:

TOPIC:

The curious case of the missing KSA 11 years 11 months ago #3356

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
I was looking at the site of a medal dealer this morning and noticed a group that I sold last year. The problem was that it was not quite the same as I remembered it. When I acquired it, the group consisted of:

MBE, Civil, 1st Type
QSA (1) CC (Lt W Prov MR)
KSA (2) (Lt) (renamed and not entitled)
1935 Jubilee Medal (engraved ‘T A Sheldon’)
1937 Coronation Medal (engraved ‘T A Sheldon’)

The MBE appeared in the London Gazette 19 December 1918: ‘Thomas Alfred Sheldon, Esq, for valuable services rendered within the Union of South Africa in connection with the campaigns in German South-West Africa and German East Africa.’ Recommended for the MBE under awards for: ‘Senior Clerk, Department of Defence. Has done exceedingly good work since the beginning of the war, in the Secretary's office, Chief Clerks Section.’

The group on the dealer's website is a little different:

While no verification could be found for the KSA, the fact that he had taken the trouble to add it to his group meant something and certainly meant that it should be kept together.

The KSA is not to be found on the dealer's site so the questions I have are why remove it and what happened to it?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The curious case of the missing KSA 11 years 11 months ago #3357

• munroe
  • Thank you received: 48
Dear All

This is a very interesting topic. The removing of "extra" medals in a group when the collector remounts them.

It is common to see the "extra" Kings medals added to men who thought they should have received them.

In a few rare cases I have found that the added medal was in fact a replacement for one lost but in the majority of cases its just an added medal.

So what do you do when you want to remount the medals?

What can make it worse is when there is a photo of the man wearing all his medals including the extra one. Now if you remount them it always appears that one medal is missing. But if you include it, some will wonder if its really an extra medal or a replacement for something lost.

I would really like to hear others comments on this topic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.956 seconds