Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Allan Davidson Molison - Natal Corps of Guides etc. - a RENAMED medal. 5 months 2 weeks ago #92809

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2151
Let me 'fess up from the get-go - this a RENAMED medal. So why did I buy it? As I have been at pains to explain in the past to anyone prepared to listen, medal collecting for me is more than just the condition of the medal or the integrity of its naming - it's about the man behind the medal and, in this case, I felt justified in forking out on a medal I knew to be dodge.

So who is this fellow? His name won't jump off the page at you but his service and, more to the point, WHO he served with, is what prised open my wallet with a crowbar (okay to be fair I swapped the vendor with a few titbits so no money changed hands..)

Allan Davidson Molison , apart from being a commissioned officer with the Colonial Scouts and the 1st Scottish Horse was also a Scout with the F.I.D. (Field Intelligence Department) AND (for me the deciding factor), he was an Honorary Sergeant with that illustrious body of men known as the Natal Corps of Guides. Those that did so much, some in the Defence and some in the Relief of Ladysmith to further the Imperial cause. So "money" well spent to my mind.

No wonder I couldn't resist.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Allan Davidson Molison - Natal Corps of Guides etc. - a RENAMED medal. 5 months 2 weeks ago #92812

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Rory
Any chap's QSA who served in the NCOG is worth having; given their extensive and very valuable service. The Buxton roll has his OFS clasp earned with the FID, BTW. He does not show in the War Services of Officers of Colonial Forces under Scottish Horse. I would think that his earlier clasps were earned with Colonial Scouts/NCOG.
A few comments, if you do not mind.
Firstly: The well done naming on the Molison QSA looks very much like that encountered on the BSACo medals. Perhaps there was a later Rhodesian connection?
Secondly: I don't think there was any intention to deceive in the naming of the Molison medal. Had there been, surely NCOG naming would have been more saleable?
Lastly: Given the naming coincides with the clasp entitlement (and it shows the last regt served in), it is highly likely that - unlike many medals which were tossed in a drawer and forgotten - the Molison QSA was actually worn by the recipient.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Allan Davidson Molison - Natal Corps of Guides etc. - a RENAMED medal. 5 months 2 weeks ago #92823

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2151
Thank you for that input IL - I am one accord with you on that. Interestingly, I posted the acquisition of the QSA on a facebook page I belong to and a gentleman (I think he's an expat in the Philippines) confirmed that he has Molison's WWI pair (Captain, KOYLI) - his WWI history is equally fascinating.

I have left a message for the chap to respond to - I hope he does in which case a reunite is in the offing.

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.125 seconds