Walter Burt - a Recurrent Dipsomaniac 1 year 2 months ago #88358

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Walter Arthur Joseph Burt

Lieutenant, Natal Militia Staff – Bambatha Rebellion
Lieutenant & Paymaster – 1st Eastern Rifles
Captain & Paymaster - South African Medical Corps (S.A.M.C.) – WWI

- Queens South Africa Medal to SUB-LDR. W.A.J. BURT. NEWCASTLE T.G. (all but Newcastle T.G. renamed and not entitled to) – Anglo Boer War
- Natal Medal (Bambatha Rebellion) with 1906 clasp to Lt. W.A.J. Burt. Natal Militia Staff.
- British War Medal to CAPT. W.A.J. BURT
- Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal (EDW VII) to LIEUT. W.A.J. BURT. STAFF. SUPY. LIST

Walter Burt is a bit of a mystery man and, perhaps, a Walt in more than just his Christian name as developments will show. It has been difficult to trace his antecedents. He could well be the Walter Joseph Arthur Burt born to John, a Quarter Master Sergeant with the Royal Horse Artillery, and Martha Bessie Burt on 24 May 1867. At the time of his birth the family were living in Woolwich.

At some point Burt decided that life in Great Britain was no longer where his future lay and, taking passage to South Africa, he settled in the Colony of Natal where he was as the 19th century wound to a close. In those days, Natal was a quiet backwater for the most part. With the exception of the thriving port of Durban and the bustling capital of Pietermaritzburg; the interior of the Colony was rather sparsely populated with the towns of Ladysmith, Newcastle and Dundee forming the most northerly settlements. These towns were comparatively close to the borders with the two Dutch-speaking Republics of the Orange Free State and the Transvaal. This became important when the long simmering tensions between these two Boer Republics and the Imperial Government in England finally boiled over into a declaration of war on 11 October 1899.

Map showing Newcastle's proximity to the Transvaal and Free State borders

These three towns, in particular Dundee and Ladysmith, were thrust into prominence in the very early days of the war with the battle of Talana being fought in Dundee and the investment of Ladysmith taking place in October and November 1899 respectively. Newcastle wasn’t forgotten – although a smaller town in terms of population (and importance), Newcastle found itself on the route that several Boer Commandos were required to take to infiltrate Natal and was soon overrun. By the time the Boers appeared in the dusty streets of the town, the English speaking citizens had “made for the hills”, leaving a smattering of their brethren behind to face the foe, along with the many Dutch speaking residents (who were largely sympathetic to the Boer cause) and had remained behind to welcome them.

After the relief of Ladysmith on 28 February 1900, Buller moved ponderously towards the Transvaal border, along the Biggarsberg, retaking possession of Dundee and Newcastle from the retreating Boers in the process. It was at this stage that a Town Guard was embodied in Newcastle, with a view to protecting the property and possessions of the returning locals from any future Boer incursions. Why Burt felt that he was a member of this body is unknown. His medal group comes with a Queens Medal to the Newcastle Town Guard with all but these last three words renamed up to him as a Sub- Leader. The medal rolls show that he wasn’t entitled to any award.

The Boer War came to an end on 31 May 1902 with no official indication that Burt had taken part in it. Trouble was, however, brewing for him in his civilian occupation. In the employ of the Natal Colonial Health Department where he was Clerk to the Public Health Officer based in Pietermaritzburg, his actions were soon the subject of intense scrutiny. The first hint of trouble came in the form of a letter, on a Department of Public Health letterhead and dated 5 April 1902, from Ernest Hill, the Health Officer for the Colony addressed to the Colonial Secretary. In it Burt’s travails were laid bare. It read as follows:

‘Sir

With extreme regret I report that Mr W.A. Burt, clerk in my office since September 1901 has been throughout this week in a condition of stupidity and general incapacity as a result of alcoholic poisoning – when I returned on Wednesday morning after a few days absence I found Mr Burt in the condition stated, and there was no attempt on his part to deny the cause, which indeed would have been futile.

Despite my urgent warnings to him he has continued in the same condition in a greater or less degree ever since, and this morning, as far as I know, has not been to office. I should say that a similar incident occurred at about the new year, which I overlooked. The matter is the more serious in that Mr Burt had on both occasions selected for the commencement of the outburst a time when I was absent for a defined period, and when he was left in a position of some trust and responsibility.

Professionally, I regard Mr Burt as a Recurrent Dipsomaniac, who from time to time completely loses his self-control. None the less it entirely unfits him for any position of responsibility, and it is necessary that I should have as clerk an educated and reliable man who can be trusted to exercise a proper judgement during my frequent necessary absence.

I should add that except during the two periods of recurrent insanity Mr Burt has fulfilled all the requirements of a responsible and intelligent clerk.

I have the honour to be etc. etc.’

As can be imagined, this set the cat among the pigeons and a Board of Enquiry was convened, of which Burt was informed. That he was oblivious as to what was under investigation could be gathered from his reply which read, in part, as follows:

‘I beg that the charges against me may be communicated to me as early as may be convenient, since I shall have to defend myself.’ In the column of his hand-written response appears the comment “Is this in regard to my temerity in entering an office room from which, without my knowledge, I had been “locked out?”

The Board convened with no extenuating circumstances for his behaviour being found, resulting in the Executive Council deciding that, “Mr Burt is to be afforded an opportunity of resigning his appointment as an alternative to his dismissal from the service, and is to be given a subsistence equal to half salary during the period of his suspension.’

This was put to Burt on 22 May in writing and had the desired effect – he tendered his resignation on 23 May 1902.

It would be clear to all and sundry, in this day and age, that Burt had a drinking problem. His employer would have provided him with counselling and access to doctors who could assist him – not so in Victorian times where he was shown the door.

Where Burt now found employment is a matter of conjecture. Colonial Pietermaritzburg was a very small place and society and the circles in which he moved would have been aware of his situation. This didn’t appear to disconcert Burt who now busied himself with good causes – the booklet brought out by Michael Nuttall to celebrate the 100th anniversary of St. Patrick’s Church in that city in 2004, in a paragraph entitled Early Beginnings and Some Developments, mentions that,

“It was a group of three men – J Holey, G Williams and W A J Burt – who formed themselves into a small committee to initiate the St Patrick’s venture immediately after the “Mission of Help” in August 1904. They, with others, had carried out a house to house visitation before the Mission in the neglected north-western portion of the town and had discovered the definite need for a congregation there.”

Time marched on and with the dawn of 1906 came a new set of challenges. Natal, post-Boer War was not a happy place. The Colonial fiscus, after waging an expensive war, was almost bare and the authorities, frantic in their efforts to source additional revenue, hit upon the idea of levying a poll or hut tax of £1 on the heads of every male aged 18 and over in the Colony. This idea was grudgingly accepted by most of the Zulu Chiefs on behalf of their tribes but, elsewhere, there was widespread opposition to the idea which, in some remote areas, led to open defiance. When some of the magistrates arrived to collect the tax in the south of the Colony they were met with a defiant response – which in one instance led to the loss of life of several members of the Natal Police. The Militia were called out in February 1906 and, after tensions had calmed down, they were stood down and allowed to return home.

Those who thought that the troubles were over hadn’t reckoned on a young, recently deposed, Chief of the Zondi tribe in the Kranskop area. Bambatha wasn’t going to take the imposition of this tax lying down and went about the Colony and Zululand fomenting violent opposition to the measure. In no time at all he had mustered the support of a number of Chiefs who came out in support of him – once more the Militia were mobilised and several regiments took to the field to quell the rebellion that followed. One such was the Natal Field Artillery. Burt was according to him, a member of “C” Battery, N.F.A. – this battery was, as of the 11th February, when the Militia were called out for the first time, part of the Right Wing, assembled at Thornville Junction, about to converge on the farm “Trewirgie” from where they accompanied the column to the south of the Colony, including Mtwalume, Highflats and Ixopo. All resistance being tactfully diffused by the magistrates, the Militia stood down and returned to their homes on 21 March 1906.

Later in the year, when Bambatha was busy with his perfidious work, C Battery were mustered again, as part of Leuchers Column (Mapumulo Force); and moved from Dundee to Helpmekaar from where they participated in many a skirmish with the fleeing Zulus, sometimes numbering between 3000 and 4000 men. With Bambatha eventually captured and beheaded at Mome Gorge, the Rebellion slowly petered out and the men returned to their homes for the last time.

Burt, meanwhile, had an article published in the Natal Agricultural Journal on 1 May 1906 wherein he waxed lyrical on the topic of “An Antidote for Snake-bite.” Far from this being the product of his own research, the article quoted extensively the work done in India by a Mr C.J. Greengrass and postulated if the remedy employed there could not be put to efficacious use in Natal.

On 24 November 1908 Burt was awarded the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal – this for 20 years efficient service.
Obviously still in the hunt for meaningful employment, Burt addressed himself to the Commandant of Cadets, Major Molyneaux, with who he had become chummy. He wrote to this gentleman on 9 December 1908 as follows:

‘Dear Major

I send the enclosed application (regarding which you will remember my speaking to you), to your care in the hope that you will give it a helping hand for which I shall be grateful. Should there later on seem any chance of securing a billet I would soon brush up commercial bookkeeping.

Thanking you for your kind assistance.

Believe me yours very truly,

W.A.J. Burt.’

The good Major dutifully did as asked and sent Burt’s attached letter to the authorities. Addressed to The Honourable Colonial Treasurer from the Office of the Commandant of Cadets (where Burt found himself at the time) on 9 December 1908 it read as follows:

“Sir

I beg to submit this application for my name to be noted as a candidate for employment in the Income and Land Tax Department should a vacancy exist, or occur later. I have been employed for varying periods in several Government Departments in Pietermaritzburg. Those to whom attention may be invited in connection with this letter being in the Census Office, during its existence, in the Militia Pay Department (having been Assistant Paymaster during the later part of the Native Rebellion of 1906, and also in the operations of 1907/8), and in connection with the stocktaking by the Audit Department of Militia Ordnance Stores in 1907.

This experience, with some knowledge of commercial bookkeeping, may be considered a qualification for the employment now sought. If desired, I shall be glad to give references to Government Officials and others, and to forward testimonials.
I am sir, your obedient servant.

W.A.J. Burt.”

Molyneaux, actually a Lt. Colonel as he hastened to add, had added his tuppence worth at the foot of this letter – stating “I can confidently recommend Mr Burt as a capable person for any appointment that may be vacant in the Income and Land Tax Department.”

The reply to Burt came three days later – “The Treasurer is unable to offer Mr Burt any appointment in the Income Tax Department. Perhaps you will note the application.”

Burt had been foiled once more – were his alcoholic binges of a few years prior still fresh in the minds of those who made the employment decisions?

Burt and the cast of His Excellency, The Governor

Burt at last found permanent employment in the Militia Department, reporting to General Mackenzie. This was with effect from 1 January 1910 and came with an annual salary of £180 as an officer in the Junior Division. Fortified by this success, he was enjoying strutting the stage as a thespian. The Playgoer and Society Illustrated, with which was incorporated “The Theatre”, a Monthly Magazine of the Drama. Literature, Art, Fashion and Society, in Volume Three (1910), provided coverage of a theatrical production, in Pietermaritzburg, of the principals in the local Amateur Dramatic Society’s performance of “His Excellency the Governor” – a blurry photograph of members of the cast was supplied, this blurry image being the only known one in which Burt appears.

In the same year, on 17 August 1910, a Minute Paper was generated from the Commandant General of the Natal Colonial Forces, the subject being “Recommending the appointment of Lt. Burt to Staff Supernumerary List be antedated.” Addressed to the Assistant Under Secretary of the Interior, Colonel Duncan Mackenzie, the Commandant General and another confidant of Burt’s, wrote,

“Lieutenant Burt was in the first instance appointed Assistant Paymaster, Militia, with the temporary rank of Lieutenant, on the 12th July 1906, and on demobilisation of the force vacated the appointment on the 31st January 1907. On the 9th February 1907 Mr Burt was appointed a Lieutenant on the Staff Supernumerary List, and it is now recommended that, in order to render his service continuous, his first appointment to the Staff Supernumerary List be antedated to the 12th July 1908 – the date on which he received his first appointment in the Force.”

What had given rise to this request by Mackenzie? Again, we refer to the man himself for the answer. In a letter to Mackenzie dated 31 July 1910, Burt went into some detail – this edited summary is provided because it gives some background into an otherwise mysterious Burt:

“On the 12th July 1906, during the Natal Native Rebellion, I was granted the temporary rank of Lieutenant (being them a member of C Battery, Natal Field Artillery while acting as Assistant Paymaster of Militia (for Field pay). Prior to the conclusion of my duties the Commandant General approved of my being commissioned on the Staff Supernumerary List as a result of my work as Assistant Paymaster.

Should my commission date from the 12th July 1906 I would have over four years’ service in the rank of Lieutenant. In support thereof I may be permitted to refer to 1) my having 23 years volunteer service (1); 2) the work I performed in framing Rules for Headquarters Field Pay Establishments during operations in the field; 3) work in the Cadet branch of the Militia Dept. (apart from my civil appointment therein), especially in connection with miniature rifle shooting; 4) my appointment as Orderly Room Officer of the Cadet Encampment, June 1910, for which I received the thanks of the Commandant of Cadets for “very valuable services rendered.” I may mention that I was employed as assistant to the Camp Commandant, Militia Encampment, Taylor’s, 1910, in the preparation of the camp, and was favourably reported on by Lt. Col. Wales.”

Mackenzie’s request was denied on the grounds that it would set a precedent and Burt’s date of appointment to commissioned rank remained what is was. He was awarded the Natal Rebellion Medal with 1906 clasp in the rank of Lieutenant with the Militia Staff.

At some point Burt parted ways with both the Militia and Natal, this could well have been in 1912. The four previous Colonies gave way to the creation of the Union of South Africa in 1910 which, inevitably, meant a consolidation of the defence requirements into one body. Unbeknown to him or anyone else, war clouds had again gathered on the horizon – this time on a global scale. The 4th August 1914 brought with it the outbreak of the Great War between Germany and her allies and Great Britain and her allies. South Africa was called upon to assist Britain by invading German South West Africa but Burt was to play no part in this campaign.

WWI card

Already 48 years of age, he was no longer in the first flower of youth and, as we know, he had a drinking problem which, although possibly addressed by 1914, would have had a detrimental effect on his health. Having left Natal he seems to have made a home for himself in the Grahamstown area of the Eastern Cape – it was here that he was associated with the 1st Eastern Rifles as their Paymaster with the rank of Lieutenant with effect from 31 January 1914, 8 months before the war commenced. He continued in this role until being released from service on being posted to the Citizen Force Section, attached to the S.A.M.C. (South African Medical Corps) as Paymaster with effect from 1 January 1915. This service lasted until 1 November 1915 on which date Burt was released from service, earning the British War Medal for his efforts.

Burt’s story is drawing to a close – this interesting man passed away at the age of 59 on 9 June 1933 at Empangeni in Lower Umfolozi. Unsurprisingly, the cause of death was Cirrhosis of the Liver. He had never married and was an Accountant at the time of his death. He is buried in the Empangeni cemetery.

(1) Burt’s reference to 23 years military service (as at 1910) provides us with food for thought. Where did he acquire this service? Was it a fabrication? Unfortunately, the award of his CAFLSM was in 1908 (for 20 years service), and detailed records which would include a breakdown of service were only kept for awards after the amalgamation of the forces in 1912/13. His group of medals came with a rare 1894 hallmarked Volunteers Decoration – these were, sadly, issued unnamed although many recipients chose to name them up. Was this Burt’s? If so, where was it earned?

The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, David Grant, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walter Burt - a Recurrent Dipsomaniac 1 year 2 months ago #88368

• Arthur R
  • Thank you received: 108
Quite a character! Thanks for posting the tale, Rory.

The VD seems unlikely to have been awarded to him. It was awarded in Natal only from 1894 to 1900, and the qualification was 20 years service as an officer. For him to have qualified, he would have needed to have been an officer since at least 1880, when he was only 13 years old. To judge from his reference in 1910 to 23 years service, and the award of the CAFLSM in 1908, he began his service around 1887, when he was 20.
Regards
Arthur

Walter Burt - a Recurrent Dipsomaniac 1 year 2 months ago #88370

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Quite so Arthur - I think you identified the VD as hallmarked for 1894. The Walt in Walter came out to play....

Best wishes

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.697 seconds