Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gunner C. Tuffrey, Southern Division, R.G.A. - QSA & China 1900 1 year 8 months ago #84476

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
Today's purchase is this rather nice pair to 72963 Gunner C. Tuffrey. I have no idea what this RGA crowd did in either the Boer War or Boxer Rebellion.

The QSA has some nice battle bars.

QSA is to 15th Coy. S.D. R.G.A. whilst the China is to No. 91 Coy. R.G.A.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gunner C. Tuffrey, Southern Division, R.G.A. - QSA & China 1900 1 year 8 months ago #84480

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 766
www.spink.com/lot/17003000531

Not that it helps much but thought you might be interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Gunner C. Tuffrey, Southern Division, R.G.A. - QSA & China 1900 1 year 8 months ago #84483

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 193
Rory,

I found this interesting article online: www.thrale.com/thomas_william_thrales_military_service

It states "On 1 January 1902, the Divisional system was abolished and all companies RGA were re-numbered sequentially from 1 to 105. 2nd Company Southern Division became 62nd Company RGA and 15th Company Southern Division became 91st Company RGA. The China 1900 Medal is normally named to one of these two companies".

I am thinking that this would explain the change in company number by the time the China medal was issued. It's a short, but very interesting article and mentions further reading.

I looked through the Boer War Casualty Roll and found that all casualties were from disease. I don't know much about the RGA at all and haven't yet found any reference to action in any reference book, but from the casualties it can be seen that the 15th Coy were in Bloemfontein mid 1900.

I hope this helps.

Ian

Gunner C. Tuffrey, Southern Division, R.G.A. - QSA & China 1900 1 year 8 months ago #84537

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice, I always feel that a QSA in combination with the China War medal is a fairly scarce thing to actually encounter these days, so very many have been spit up and some, very sadly, these days, are lost forever, having been scrapped, their members had an interesting selection of kit, for example, the Mountain Division became part of the RGA.

Rory wrote: Today's purchase is this rather nice pair to 72963 Gunner C. Tuffrey. I have no idea what this RGA crowd did in either the Boer War or Boxer Rebellion.

The QSA has some nice battle bars.

QSA is to 15th Coy. S.D. R.G.A. whilst the China is to No. 91 Coy. R.G.A.

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.986 seconds