TOPIC:

Pte 4099 Samuel Dearsley 1st Btn Suffolk Rgt 1 year 10 months ago #83600

• adrian1008
  • adrian1008's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello
I am researching the above individual as he has been missed off a local war memorial and I am building the case to have him added.

Samuel Dearsley was born in Nov /Dec 1873 in Stradishal Suffolk and attested 11Dec 1894 in Bury St Edmunds. He served with the 1st Btn for all his 18 yr career, yet on his discharge, there was no medal entitlement.

Could colleagues please assist with why this may be the case, or point me in the direction of where I may find out more on this chap.

Incidentally he re enlisted on the outbreak of WW1 and died of C/A Stomach in 1916

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte 4099 Samuel Dearsley 1st Btn Suffolk Rgt 1 year 10 months ago #83603

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hello Adrian 1008

I have searched the medal rolls for your man Samuel Dearsley 4099 reference 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment. Alas, there was no record of him regarding a QSA or KSA medal for the Boer War. His service papers record that he did indeed attest in December 1894. I found a pension record which stated he served in Malta 1903 and Egypt 1913, in fact the 1911 census has him recorded as being still a Private with the Suffolk's aged 38 and in Egypt.
The 1901 Census has a Samuel Dearsley living with his Father and Mother as a agricultural labourer aged 32. Slight anomaly in the age but worth checking out.
However, a Samuel Dearsley did serve in WW1 although not with the Suffolk's, he joined the 1st Battalion Garrison Essex Regiment number 22315. He was entitled to his WW1 trio of medals and was at some point returned to England with complications. He died as you stated of stomach cancer at the Western Hospital Manchester in June 1916.
He left a widow called Sarah Ann and 2 children.
I did find another service number 18311 for the Suffolk's against Samuel's name, but no record on ABW medal entitlement. On paper I can not place Samuel in South Africa, although there may be something I have missed which could link him to the conflict. Or it may be possible he didn't go to S.A. If that is the case , we need to try and ascertain why. Could he have remained in Malta when the 1st battalion returned to Southhampton before deployment to Capetown? Was he taken ill on his return? All supposition I'm afraid and my apologies for not being able to clarify your request clearly. Let's hope a fellow forummer may be able to help.
Looking at the evidence and dates I'm unsure about the 1916 Samuel Dearsley, they could be different soldiers. The death by carcinoma is definitely recorded against the Dearsley of the Essex regiment but on further investigations another document records his date of birth as 1886.

Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, adrian1008

Pte 4099 Samuel Dearsley 1st Btn Suffolk Rgt 1 year 10 months ago #83604

• adrian1008
  • adrian1008's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Dave
Thank you for this, Can you explain your sources please. I wasn't aware he was in Malta..... perhaps he should have the Queens Mediterranean medal.
Samuel re enlisted on the outbreak of WW1 and was posted to the 1st Garrison Btn Essex Rgt he was over 40 but volunteered for overseas service MIC shows Balkans

Pte 4099 Samuel Dearsley 1st Btn Suffolk Rgt 1 year 10 months ago #83605

• Dave F

The India reference pertains to another entry above Samuel.
Information from Ancestry/ WW1 pension entitlement.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Pte 4099 Samuel Dearsley 1st Btn Suffolk Rgt 1 year 10 months ago #83608

• Dave F
He wasn't eligible for the Mediterranean medal.

Reference the other regimental number for the Suffolk's.

Dave.......
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Pte 4099 Samuel Dearsley 1st Btn Suffolk Rgt 1 year 10 months ago #83609

• Dave F
The 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment on Malta 1899

Strength: 678 men. The men were at Fort Manoel Island.

2 Jan 1899 The 1st/Suffolk, consisting of HQ Coy and eight companies, 21 officers, 3 officer's wives, 1 female officer's servant, 2 warrant officers, 41 sgts, 16 buglers, 661 rank and file, 38 soldiers' wives and 79 children, embarked for Southampton on the transport Jelunga.

The 1st/Suffolk moved to Dover on 11 January and to Capetown from Dover on 12 November 1899.

With reference to Samuel's time in Malta it may have been from 1903 to 1906.
I noticed that on his service papers he signed on again in 1906 at Madras . So, possibly India needs adding to his overseas record.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: adrian1008

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.870 seconds